Upgrading from Distro 6

is this ever going to be NOT going to be beta software?

THIS IS BETA SOFTWARE. PLEASE DO NOT RUN THIS ON YOUR PRODUCTION SYSTEMS.

THIS ONLY WORKS ON THE OFFICIAL FREEPBX DISTRO (NOT PBXact!) AT THIS TIME.

Hi!

It still needs people like you to report problems with it…

I was one of the initial testers when they made it public and I did ended up with a working setup in the end even though I probably was one of the ones who had the most issues with it…

The chance of getting a working setup in the end are ever increasing and quite a few issues that have not (yet!) been fixed have known fixes…

Have a nice day,

Nick

Understood, but it says do not run on production machine, I only have the one production machine… :wink:

I’m in the same boat, only one machine, the production one. So I take the warning to mean "Do not upgrade at this time. Let other people with more knowledge and resources upgrade their units and discover bugs. Allow programmers time to correct those bugs for the rest of us. Check back in a month or two and see if it’s ready yet. ", That’s MY plan anyway.

2 Likes

Yea, the reason for my post was to see if the wording was ever going to be updated or was it just for legality reason… :slight_smile: I was hoping someone would say oh, it’s always going to say that, but now that x number of people have run it, it is as good as it is going to be.

Hi!

Right now I would only attempt this if you can afford some downtime and/or have a lot of time on your hands…

Getting a working setup in the end does not mean that everything will go smoothly…

If it doesn’t how much downtime can you afford to seek help before you need to go back to FreePBX 13 and restore from a backup?

Can you afford to have a partially working install?

There were a few peoples with non-working CDR/CEL ( there are two different known reasons for this) and at least one with a broken Fax Pro (I believe this was fixed in a later script, it was a missing package because the package needed had been split in two upstream).

These two problems I believe at least some of the people affected ran their upgraded system for days before noticing them. I believe that for some people missing CDR is a big problem…

Some people seem to have problems with NIC emulation when running in a VM, that I guess will have to be properly documented as I am not sure much can be done in the distro upgrade “script” about this. The script already tells you when you lose Internet connectivity which seems to be one of the side effects of that problem…

There were some telephony hardware (cards which use DAHDI) issues which have only recently been mostly fixed. That however was not exactly a distro upgrade issue, it affected new FreePBX 14 installs as well…

If you have DAHDI hardware I would wait a bit more, chances are that you would have problems because there’s something that needs a little tweaking right now…

Some people have broken dependencies… That’s possibly because of something they installed which was not in the stock distro or an update that went wrong…

If that happens and you know what to do about them you might fix your problem in a matter of minutes but if you don’t know what to do about them it might take much longer before you find the answer from looking at older posts about failed upgrades or get an answer to a thread or ticket you create about it.

Now it’s probably possible to make the script handle this more gracefully and maybe the current “script” does…

I believe the wording will get updated eventually… :wink:

One of the FreePBX devs told me that the lead developer of this upgrader, which is also a manager, had to do management tasks recently and would soon go back to working on the upgrader… I believe this is the reason the known issues have not yet been fixed or worked around…

It definitely performs better than it did initially but it has known issues which have not currently been fixed (like CDR)…

You might not have any problems but I would suggest that anyone who does the upgrade test for things such as non-working CDR/CEL and the like.

If you have DAHDI hardware, wait… A problem related to it was fixed recently for some hardware but I think it also needs to be take care of in the distro upgrade “script” because when you do not have that hardware i believe the problem will still be present…

(It’s a driver which is run at startup which should not be…)

So there will be a script that performs better than the current one…

Good luck (if you try updating) and have a nice day!

Nick

1 Like