After all the updates were done, I had no PRI anymore - looking at the system you have DAHDI 2.11.0 - it will initialize the card, but dahdi_genconf shows no spans to configure.
I compiled and installed DAHDI 2.11.1 and like magic I could see my spans again - any idea when 2.11.1 will be in the repos?
This would have been crushing if I was afraid of compiling from source (which I am not - it has saved me MANY times - just like right now!)
If you are happy with your dadhdi configuration, just disable/delete the “dahdi helper” it should then no longer try to “help”.
Is that what was happening? dahdi_genconf said no spans whatsoever - not too helpful!
It is a nice attempt to configure dahdi, but is IMHO limited and sometimes a little intrusive
Go to the horse’s mouth
It has worked since it was zaptel
If you are talking about manually creating/editing the system.conf and dahdi-channels.conf, I already had working files - those didn’t get damaged/removed - DAHDI 2.11.0 just wouldn’t expose the spans - running DAHDI with the configuration files in place resulted in an error because no spans were present.
There are lots of dahdi_* tools
service dahdi restart (you might need to stop asterisk first)
they are pretty self explanatory.
I think we are drifting away from the actual problem here - I have no problem creating the configs necessary - the DAHDI 2.11.0 that comes pre-packaged with the Distro Upgrade would not bring my TE133 online no matter what I did - as soon as I upgraded DAHDI, it worked fine.
I think it is a problem with DAHDI 2.11.0 since it worked fine as soon as I upgraded to 2.11.1.
As I said “It is a nice attempt to configure dahdi, but is IMHO limited and sometimes a little intrusive” and you said "This would have been crushing if I was afraid of compiling from source (which I am not - it has saved me MANY times - just like right now!)
so if the TE133 doesn’t work with the distro you should raise a bug, apparently neither you nor I have a problem with doing it manually.
Note that when Greg says “DAHDI 2.11.0” he is NOT talking about the FreePBX module. He is talking about the Version of Dahdi for Asterisk
More weirdness - I just finished doing an upgrade to another box with a TE133F and even though it upgraded to Dahdi 2.11.1, once again “no spans” - this time I compiled and installed 2.11.1 over top of the existing 2.11.1, and wha-lah - I have spans again.
Am I the only person using TE133F’s??? Seems like a pretty common card…
I don’t think that your experience is that odd, especially if the kernel version of the operating system was changed. The old Dahdi software kernel module wouldn’t be compatible with the new version of the kernel, so recompiling and restarting the server would make sense.
I agree that one would expect it to “just work”, but this IS Asterisk we’re talking about, so YMMV by default.
No, it’s getting DAHDI packages from the repos that are compiled against the proper kernel - DAHDI loads, and even initializes the card, but it doesn’t initialize the spans (you can watch, or look in dmesg) and when you run dahdi-genconf, it says no spans - they must be putting in some sort of compile-time switch or something.
It’s weird, but I think the number of boxes using PRI spans is steadily dropping - in 2008, 95% of our boxes all had them - today I have 2 boxes out of about 90 that have PRI’s.