Upgraded to 2.9 and now no calls are getting connected

Hi,

I had a running FreePBX installation with lots of configuration. But it was on an old CentOS system and I decided to move to a Ubuntu server.
I got my new server ready and then installed all Asterisk packages together with FreePBX.
Free PBX 2.9 is installed. Then I took a backup from my old system with Backup &Restore module. I restored that backup to the new one.
New configuration is accepted by the FreePBX and everything seems in place.

However I can’t dial out any calls.

I get “exit with zero” errors on the log. But that’s all; there is no other log.

How can I analyze this further ? And any solutions ?

thanks.

Did you restore a backup from a version previous to the 2.9?

yes, I did install a backup from 2.8.
but what’s wrong with that ?
configuration seems to be accepted by the system.

how can I get more logs/debugs ?

Major DB schema changes occurred between the two versions.

If you untar the backup file and run, move it to the tmp directory and run the generate astdb script you probably will have registrations but so much more will have to be fixed. You will find you have a ton of broken destinations.

Both DB’s are completely hosed. I tried selectively restoring tables so I did not have to manually recreate 30 IVR’s and it took Tony, Bryan and I almost 4 hours to fix the issues. You have to use the migration tool, period. Simply no way around it.

I know it’s not the answer you wanted.

what is the migration tool ?
I can use it if it’s applicable.

btw, IMHO the problem isn’t about the configuration because when I had initially installed my previous FreePBX setup (the working one) , I had to make changes to the dialparties.agi script to enable calls.

I just don’t remember what was the modification. and as I don’thave any logs, I’m not sure if it’s the same problem or not.

If you do a check for updates on a 2.9 system the “2.10” upgrade too will appear. You can’t run it once the dbmigrate scripts have been run.

I can’t think of any reason to modify dialparties.agi

from 2.9 to 2.10 ?
how will that help me ?

I know about the upgrade module, but that’s for upgrading from a previous version to new version.

I now have 2 systems:

1. 2.8.x with a working configuration on CentOS 5
  2. 2.9.x with non working configuration on Ubuntu 11.10

how can I migrate my configuration to the Ubuntu system ?

and why do I have no logging on the new system ?

thx.

Hi,

I’m stuck and need help.

I now have 2 systems:

1. 2.8.x with a working configuration on CentOS 5
  2. 2.9.x with non working configuration on Ubuntu 11.10
    how can I migrate my configuration to the Ubuntu system ?
    and why do I have no logging on the new system ?

thx.

so ?
any idea ?

Hi,

I’d appreciate any help please.

Thanks.

SkykingOH,

are you not following up ?
I really need help on this. I’m stuck.

Following up on what?

Upgrade the 2.8 system to match the Ubuntu system.

Use the FreePBX upgrade utility. That’s all you have to do.

Keep in mind 2.10 is still beta and the backup module is all new and a work in progress.

If you want follow up and accountability you need to purchase support. This is a community forum.

Hi,

Unfortunately I don’t understand:

Do you propose to upgrade the old (CentOS) system to 2.9 version first ?
And then get a backup with “Backup & restore” module ?
and import that to the new 2.9 system ?

isn’t it risky to upgrade the old system to the new version ? what if I get the same problems on the functioning old system ?

btw, I know this is a community forum but you made a suggestion and I didn’t understand it. That’s why I’m trying to ask details…
sorry if I was not polite enough. It’s just disturbing that I couldn’t make a working system on the new installation with backups from old system.

It’s not about being polite. I don’t know what to tell you to do.

You are running an unsupported OS for starters.

The migration tool migrates data within the framework. You can’t restore from a previous version, period.

The new system does not work because you trashed the DB with the restore and more than likely the AstDB is also in an unrestored state.

If you don’t want to try the in place update then install the old version on another computer, restore to that then run the upgrade util. I have had to do that on a VM to migrate users from trixbox’s.

Also if your config is not complex you can use the bulk import module, copy the sound files over SCP and then just setup everything else again by hand.

now that the new installation is trashed with old version’s restore, how can I restore a fresh DB with zero config ?

how can Iremovethe current installation and install old version (2.8) ?

Depends how well you know Linux and MySQL.

Essentially just drop asterisk and asteriskcdrdb databases from MySQL tool.

Then remove everything from the doc root /var/www/html/admin

Lastly download the 2.8 tarball, untar it, run the dbcreate scripts and then do a normal install_amp.

If this is overwhelming just go pickup an hour of support and we can do this for you.

thank you. I did as you suggested (btw, I am using asterisk at home for only 2 sip channels, it’s not a commercial setup.)

unfortunately after restoring my backup I have several problems. Please see below.
It seems that I have a wrong password somewhere. But I don’t know where. any idea ?

1. on the console I have several of these errors:
  == Connect attempt from '127.0.0.1' unable to authenticate
  == Connect attempt from '127.0.0.1' unable to authenticate
router*CLI>
  1. outgoing trunk is registered to my service provider. extensions are registered but I can’t make a call.

2. on GUI, I get “asterisk connection failure”

Asterisk Manager Connection Failure

Failed to connect to the Asterisk manager through port: 5038
Added 11 minutes ago
(retrieve_conf.FATAL)
  1. on GUI, I get this error:
 retrieve_conf failed, config not applied

Reload failed because retrieve_conf encountered an error: 1
Added 11 minutes ago
(freepbx.RCONFFAIL)
  1. on GUI, I have brokem modules warning
You have 9 broken modules

The following modules are disabled because they are broken:
parking, paging, queues, timeconditions, languages, daynight, donotdisturb, customcontexts, vmailadmin

You should go to the module admin page to fix these.
Added 1 seconds ago
(freepbx.modules_broken)
  1. on GUI, I have “Symlink from modules failed” error:
 Symlink from modules failed

retrieve_conf failed to sym link: 
   /etc/asterisk/sip_notify.conf from core/etc
   /etc/asterisk/logger.conf from core/etc
This can result in FATAL failures to your PBX. If the target file exists and not identical, the symlink will not occur and you should rename the target file to allow the automatic sym link to occur and remove this error, unless this is an intentional customization.
Added 18 minutes ago
(retrieve_conf.SYMLINK)

I think I’ve solved the password issue by changing my password in /etc/asterisk/manager.conf
but I have the following issue which I couldn’t solve:

Symlink from modules failed

retrieve_conf failed to sym link: 
   /etc/asterisk/sip_notify.conf from core/etc
   /etc/asterisk/logger.conf from core/etc
This can result in FATAL failures to your PBX. If the target file exists and not identical, the symlink will not occur and you should rename the target file to allow the automatic sym link to occur and remove this error, unless this is an intentional customization.
Added 25 seconds ago
(retrieve_conf.SYMLINK)

and my calls are still not connecting.

btw, I still have broken modules. I didn’t want to fix them before anyone makes a suggestion about above issues…

OK; I’ve also solved the symlink issue.
I removed the /etc/asterisk/logger.conf and /etc/asterisk/sip_notify.conf
now I don’t have this issue.

also I have manually installed broken modules. now I don’t have any errors on the GUI and console.

but my calls are still not connecting.

please help me…

You are not telling us much (output of sip show peers, debug info) I have no idea what “calls don’t work” means exactly.

What I suspect is the astdb is not restored properly. I mentioned this in the info I provided you two weeks ago.