Updates did not start. Incron error?

As @xrobau will tell you, you should never do this stuff while sudo because everything should be done directly to avoid any permission issues. So sudo fully into root and don’t issue commands with sudo first. Just FYI. It triggers him.

That is not how Linux works. So, no.

How doesn’t it work?

Not using sudo.

Using sudo is absolutely a correct way to handle almost all tasks.

Yes it is an advanced thing for the FreePBX distro. You have to know how to setup the user to have all the right permissions.

OK so first, I was partially joking because Rob has thrown tizzy’s about people not fully sudo’ing to root first and running commands because permissions issues (which as you pointed out, you have to know how to setup the user permissions) which most average users have no clue to do. It’s also why I tagged Rob, to mess with him.

Second, I also didn’t say don’t use sudo. I said sudo to root first. There is a difference.

I believe Rob gets #triggered by people using sudo specifically when following the FreePBX manual install wiki page, as opposed to general usage.

3 Likes

As Lorne said. Rob actually uses sudo all the time. But not for the freepbx installer.

It’s permanent. Do as instructed.

That is different. In almost all cases, installations of systems should be handled from root.
I have wrote a number of guides for people to install various things on Linux (mostly Fedora) and the assumption of the guides is always that the reader needs to be ssh’d in as root or to sudo to root.

@sorvani try upgrading now.

Hi, sorry if my information is not complete. I did the system update. I got stuck waited 2 hours, but restarted in the end. The new kernel gives me a kernel panick, but I selected one older and that boots and with the instructions in this thread I got this working. Now I have the latest kernel but that panics. My system says no updates. How can I fix this, or what info should i give to help to fix this.

what i know:
Hyper-V virtual machine on Windows Server 2012
Sangoma Linux 7 (Core) (x86_64)
Kernel version 3.10.0.862.9.1.el7.x86_64

My box works now, but after a reboot I have to manualy select the right kernel

There it is.

[jbusch@pbx ~]$ sudo yum update 
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, versionlock
Determining fastest mirrors
sng-base                                                                                                     | 3.6 kB  00:00:00     
sng-epel                                                                                                     | 4.7 kB  00:00:00     
sng-extras                                                                                                   | 3.4 kB  00:00:00     
sng-pkgs                                                                                                     | 3.4 kB  00:00:00     
sng-updates                                                                                                  | 3.4 kB  00:00:00     
zerotier                                                                                                     | 2.9 kB  00:00:00     
(1/9): sng-base/7/x86_64/group_gz                                                                            | 166 kB  00:00:00     
(2/9): sng-base/7/x86_64/primary_db                                                                          | 5.9 MB  00:00:00     
(3/9): sng-epel/7/x86_64/updateinfo                                                                          | 989 kB  00:00:00     
(4/9): sng-epel/7/x86_64/group_gz                                                                            |  88 kB  00:00:00     
(5/9): sng-epel/7/x86_64/primary_db                                                                          | 6.7 MB  00:00:00     
(6/9): sng-pkgs/7/x86_64/primary_db                                                                          | 660 kB  00:00:00     
(7/9): sng-extras/7/x86_64/primary_db                                                                        | 205 kB  00:00:00     
(8/9): zerotier/primary_db                                                                                   | 2.7 kB  00:00:00     
(9/9): sng-updates/7/x86_64/primary_db                                                                       | 6.0 MB  00:00:00     
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package incron.x86_64 0:0.5.10-10.sng7 will be updated
---> Package incron.x86_64 1:0.5.10-11.sng7 will be an update
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

====================================================================================================================================
 Package                     Arch                        Version                                Repository                     Size
====================================================================================================================================
Updating:
 incron                      x86_64                      1:0.5.10-11.sng7                       sng-pkgs                       91 k

Transaction Summary
Upgrade  1 Package

Total download size: 91 k
Is this ok [y/d/N]: y
Downloading packages:
sng-pkgs/7/x86_64/prestodelta                                                                                |   78 B  00:00:00     
incron-0.5.10-11.sng7.x86_64.rpm                                                                             |  91 kB  00:00:00     
Running transaction check
Running transaction test
Transaction test succeeded
Running transaction
  Updating   : 1:incron-0.5.10-11.sng7.x86_64                                                                                   1/2 
  Cleanup    : incron-0.5.10-10.sng7.x86_64                                                                                     2/2 
  Verifying  : 1:incron-0.5.10-11.sng7.x86_64                                                                                   1/2 
  Verifying  : incron-0.5.10-10.sng7.x86_64                                                                                     2/2 

Updated:
  incron.x86_64 1:0.5.10-11.sng7                                                                                                    

Complete!

What can be run all depends on what

grep $USER /etc/sudoers

returns if anything, and how you installed your system (and even what your system is).

If you REALLY want to be root use good old

su

and enter the root password you entered on setup.

I confirm that after today’s update (yum update) the problem with the incron is fixed and everything works fine so far.

Nice work.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.