Updated to FreePBX 13, Sendmail working, Extension Emails are not

I upgraded my old FreePBX 2.10 (Asterisk 11) to 13, did a system backup, installed a fresh copy of FreePBX 13 + Asterisk 13 on a new drive and restored the backup from the previous system. Everything is working except voicemail emails. I am using sendmail with gmail as my proxy smtp, emails from fail2ban and emails sent from the command line all go out and are delivered without issue. I’ve set sendmail to it’s highest debug setting, but nothing of use is going to the log.

When I leave a voicemail at an extension, here’s the mail log for that voicemail:
Feb 23 13:04:23 pbx sendmail[30765]: x1NI4N9g030765: from=asterisk, size=12236, class=0, nrcpts=0, msgid=[email protected], [email protected]
Feb 23 13:04:23 pbx sendmail[30768]: x1NI4Nhj030768: from=asterisk, size=285, class=0, nrcpts=0, msgid=[email protected], [email protected]

Sending an email from the command line (or when the system sends an email), the log is this:

Feb 23 13:07:51 pbx sendmail[31056]: x1NI7p2v031056: from=root, size=223, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=[email protected], [email protected]
Feb 23 13:07:51 pbx sendmail[31057]: x1NI7pAm031057: from=[email protected], size=502, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=[email protected], proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=pbx.local [127.0.0.1]
Feb 23 13:07:51 pbx sendmail[31056]: x1NI7p2v031056: to={REMOVED}, ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=30223, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (x1NI7pAm031057 Message accepted for delivery)
Feb 23 13:07:51 pbx sendmail[31059]: STARTTLS=client, relay=smtp.gmail.com, version=TLSv1/SSLv3, verify=FAIL, cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256, bits=128/128
Feb 23 13:07:53 pbx sendmail[31059]: x1NI7pAm031057: to=<{REMOVED}>, delay=00:00:02, xdelay=00:00:02, mailer=relay, pri=120502, relay=smtp.gmail.com [74.125.141.108], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (OK 1550945274 t17sm1196489vke.26 - gsmtp)

I’ve spent several days trying to figure this one out. I su-ed from root to asterisk, thinking sendmail might have not like asterisk trying to send emails, but I sent a command line test email with no problems. I’ve tweaked so many things, I’m at the point where I feel like I need to look into the core files, but me editing core files has never been a good thing.

Does anybody have any tips or direction they could point me in?

The FreePBX Distro doesn’t use sendmail, how did you install your new system?

Incredible PBX 13. I’ve posted the same question over on their forum, nothing but crickets since Tuesday on my issue. I’m desperate :frowning:

If you’re lucky, you’ll find someone here who can assist, but Inedible PBX is a fork and who knows what kind of mods are in place. I would think that their own forum would be the place to ask.

If you ever find yourself wanting to migrate to a supportable system, this script will be of value:
https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/PPS/Elastix+and+PBXinaFlash+to+FreePBX+Distro+Conversion+Tool

1 Like

Thanks for the link Lorne. Yeah, that’s why I let the post on their forum mellow for several days before posting it here. I’ve had this working since 2008 across multiple versions of Free PBX, the gmail smtp relay has worked reliably the entire time. I’m still pot-committed to this setup, but good to know there’s a path out if I need one.

I’ve been trying to find the scripts that call on /etc/asterisk/voicemail.conf to see if I can figure out what the mail command is that triggers the send. Verbose Asterisk & Sendmail tell me nothing…

Installing postfix is probably your simplest route here, it will replace email relatively seamlessly.

Shot in the dark, what is the output of:

grep mailcmd /etc/asterisk/voicemail.conf

mailcmd=/usr/sbin/sendmail

That’s an option I’ve considered, but I have my email vm attachments going out to IBM Watson for transcribing in the current setup via Incredible PBX. I’d like to keep that functionality.

fixed my issue. Turns out something between sendmail & asterisk was not telling sendmail who the mail was supposed to go to (the “nrcpts=0” in the logs already had my attention, but I should have focused on it more). Adding the “-t” option to the sendmail line did the trick. mailcmd=/usr/sbin/sendmail -t

Thank you both for your input!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.