Update Warning: STUN Server not defined in SIP settings

This warning once again underlines the fact that I have no grasp of the functionality related to maintaining the External Address of my PBX. There are a number of settings/components related to External Address, What are their dependencies? How do they relate? What are their functions/responsibilities in the over all operation of the PBX?

Am I the only one who finds this a challenge?

If you have no idea what a STUN server is and how external IP addresses work then why are you installing WebRTC.

These concepts are of the internet. Simply use Google to find what you want. FreePBX describing why you need a STUN server in the context of the module WebRTC is way out of scope for FreePBX.

Do you know what WebRTC is?

The STUN server definition on Wikipedia is 859 words. All relating to VoIP in various ways, only partially including WebRTC. How would I simplify this in terms of talking about WebRTC? Yet when you are in SIP Settings generalize it for more than WebRTC ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STUN )

Hey what? WebRTC has always been enabled. I didn’t investigate enough to know to turn it off. Just one of the zillions of things to know about the distro. A message comes up on an update relating to External Address and I am sharing the fact that supporting the network address settings raises a lot of questions. This is not just about WebRTC.

Last week I looked at SIP Settings and noticed that it did not match my external ip address (because it had changed). I have DDNS enabled in Sys Admin and a DDNS setting under Chan SIP which had the correct address. Now WebRTC wants an External Address function configured.

My comment is about all the network settings with no idea of the relationship from one to the other and thinking they need to be combined as much as possible with a clear idea of their action.

You missed that I was not puzzled about WebRTC or Stun Servers, just how various network settings in FreePBX relate and interact, if at all.

That said, thanks for trying to help. (>:}

(bye the way, I was really pleased that when I accidentally closed my browser, my partial post was saved and I could reconnect and edit to finish it, neat)

We have tried to create an exhaustive wiki. That pretty much details everything. Step by step. With images. This doesn’t seem to be enough for you. What else would you like us to do?

Honestly, I did try to research my SIP and DDNS problem recently but wasn’t able to find anything useful. I find the wiki only useful if I access it using Google search which often includes forum posts… I am often able to find help but it takes much trial and error to come with search terms that hit the information I need. Most of the time the info is not deep enough for me as a long time user. I am looking for deeper function, not just getting started settings. More how and way than what.

Now that you ask, I really encourage you guys to come up with a good context help system. I after reading the Module System Blog, I was wondering if GIT could be used as the back end to develop and maintain the help source for the multi-lingual help databases needed.
Key to the system is the code needed to create and manage the links to the help items, usually to build trees. I have built a couple of successful help systems. The first in 1970. The concept has been slow to catch on (LOL). The success of mine was due to being a better help system but also much easier to use for the development team and documenters. I keep thinking I should write a book but since the next generation always needs to figure everything out for themselves, no one would probably care.

Andrew,
Another Idea I have is to also combine the appropriate online wiki files into a single manual like PDF for download. I can imagine printing out a nice high level reference to read through. I have more trouble with opening each and every wiki file and reading it online. Especially important would be a nice informative overview for each item to describe the why this function exists and what it is for. Same for the settings. Sometimes the perspective is missing. I remember seeing a nice example of one of these for another distro awhile back but forget exactly what it was.

Cheers

LOL indeed,

While various wikis are good, and some of it is even relatively easy to comprehend, there is also a problem every rookie probably has : we sometimes don’t know what the certain feature is named, meaning we don’t know what we need, but we need it ASAP.

So if the help system had the Asterisk and General Telephony 101 integrated with FreePBX context, that’ll be a win…

(and I don’t mind even if Sangoma wants to ‘blow their own horn’ for their products there, just don’t want to be left to a mercy of some random voip consultants trying to sell you complete package with administration, and an Apple Mac Air for config/fop… when all one needs is a system for 10 internal extensions)