Update advice please also (calls being cut off)

I have a site with a Trixbox Running it’s been going fine for over 3 years with PRI isdn (10 channels) on a digium card, 19 extensions 14 of which are snom 360’s. 6 extensions are fairly heavily used, System information at the end of the post.

Recently some calls have been cut off, initially it seemed that it happened if a call was put on hold and an enquiry made with another extension, when the user tried to return to the held call it was no longer there. They suspected that this may have been caused if another incoming call arrived whilst one call was on hold. (this is just a suspicion and could be a complete red herring).

I guess there are likely to be updates available. I have done some through module admin but I seek advice as to if I should update this system and if so how best to do so. Since it has been working I’ve been reluctant to look into updates having seen plenty of posts about things failing following updates. To be fair I guess you only see post when things go wrong, no-one posts “I did an update and it continued to work perfectly”. Maybe the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” is the wrong approach when it comes to asterisk?.

So should I try and update this system or should I start again with a fresh freepbx distro install? (bearing in mind that I am a linux novice)

Is an update likely to resolve the dropped calls issue. I’d appreciate any advice on tracing this type of problem although I do intend to go and do some googling to try and find out which logs to find or how to run a trace.

Many Thanks Dave

Asterisk 1.4.21.2-2 RPM by [email protected] built by root @ trixbuild-2.5 on a i686 running Linux on 2008-09-08 18:25:27 UTC

System Status Version: 2.6.1.4 ---- from system status page

Linux version 2.6.18-53.1.4.el5 ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.1.2 20070626 (Red Hat 4.1.2-14)) #1 SMP Fri Nov 30 00:45:16 EST 2007

CentOS release 5.2 (Final)

Processors 2
Model Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz
CPU Speed 2 GHz
Cache Size 1024 KB