Unable to connect to remote asterisk (does /var/run/asterisk/asterisk.ctl exist?)

Hi All,

I am sure this error is seen by many, especially people who are coming from the world of Trixbox and PIAF, where we are used to almost an automated installation.

I have attempted the manual installation of freePBX on CentOS 5.1 few times and followed the instruction very closely and every time I get a different outcome.

Few times I had to “chmod asterisk:asterisk /var/www/html/admin” manually, while it is relatively easy to include this command in the freePBX installation script. (other times I didn’t have to)

Now what I am faced with is “Unable to connect to remote asterisk (does /var/run/asterisk/asterisk.ctl exist?)” when I try to access Asterisk CLI, even though Asterisk is running.

I believe at some stage of the installation we have to manually change “astrundir” in both files /etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf and /etc/amportal to /var/run/asterisk. But the question is WHENNNNN…

I believe it would have to be after successfully compiling Asterisk (and the rest of the packages), but before running ./start_asterisk start script. If we run the ./start_asterisk script first, asterisk.ctl would be placed under /var/run, which for some reason makes amportal (start, restart, stop) unusable.

Could anyone PLEASE post a fix to this problem? I hate to go through the installation all over again trying to figure out a fix…

Could someone also PLEASE update the installation steps for CentOS5.1 (got to be the most common installation)?

Thanks to all.

Hi All,
I was working on Asterisk very fine, and now when i try to access the CLI mode it shows this error,
Kindly help me in this matter.