Ucp node not starting after last update

andrew, sorry if this is a silly question, but what function does ucp node provide…because i cannot see anything on the server that does not work…calls are going through, i thought it was related to user control panel, but that seems to work as well.

UCP Node is no longer a module in 14. If you upgrade to UCP in edge it will remove UCP Node from your system and you can’t get it online anymore. The reasoning is that UCP Node has been merged into UCP.

Besides that all of your questions are answered in the wiki: https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FPG/Node+Server-UCP

Please do not open a bug ticket on this. It’s not a bug, yet, through support procedures (eg using this forum) we are still working on this issue. All issues go through myself and my staff so if, after, working with me you open a ticket it simple ends up going back to me, which is confusing when we have been working in the forums together. It does not expedite the process.

Andrew,
First I want to impress upon you that I did not mean any disrespect by opening up the ticket. The reason I opened up the ticket was because of your comment “Nope. I have no solution at this time.” I interpreted this to mean that you were not sure where to go from here. I am sorry if this was wrong, I saw the ticket as the logical next step.
Also, I do want to push back a little on your comment in the ticket about this being a support issue. I admit I am new to this forum but I think anyone would agree that, in this forum, the line between support issue and bug is very blurry. Take for example this ticket I opened FREEPBX-14517. This ticket was closed and commented on saying “it was a support issue”. Later when I raised this issue in the forums, a patch was released to fix the issue….so it was a bug. I understand that sometimes it is not clear initially whether it is a bug or support issue, but I think more deference should be given to the submitter to “make their case” rather than just closing the ticket without discussion.
Finally, I just want to say that you are the last person I want to piss off, you guys have been a great help to me. I don’t create tickets to make more work for you, I create them to make the product better and I am willing to go WAY out of my way to provide any and all information to you to make the work of fixing bugs easier. That includes working with you to test beta fix’s etc.

thanks

1 Like

What gain does the ticket give you over figuring it out here? Please make your case for the reasoning.

That’s the point I’m making. How does it help to provide information in a ticket as well as the forums when you’ve first posted it in the forums then you move it to a ticket? Maybe it’s your system? We haven’t determined that yet.

My honest question is what do you think a ticket gains you over the forum thread?

As for FREEPBX-14517 it was a support issue. It was not reproducable at the time. We went to the forums and discussed it. In the end it still got fixed. So what is the issue? Do you prefer tickets over forums? Why?

Also I’m not mad. I am just trying to keep things organized.

We try and use the following guideline on is it a bug. For it to be considered a bug we must have steps to reproduce the problem otherwise we can not ever resolve it if we can’t reproduce it.

Andrew, I hope you had a nice fathers day.
You asked the question:“What gain does the ticket give you over figuring it out here? Please make your case for the reasoning” …The explanation is simple; until recently, it never occurred to me that you might be the only one working on these problems. I thought that since you said you “had no solution at this time”, and this did seem like a bug to me, i would open a ticket and get a fresh pair of eyes on the problem. You are right, if you are the only one looking at these kinds of bugs, then there is no advantage to opening a ticket.

I think this is getting away from the topic of the thread, why don’t i create a new thread in general discussions about bugs, that way, we can get back on track.
thanks
Edit:
https://community.freepbx.org/t/to-be-or-not-to-be-what-is-a-bug/42026

fyi, ucp daemon is still not starting, please let me know if/when you have new ideas about this or if I can provide any more useful informatioin.

thanks

If you don’t gain anything from bugs being submitted to a bug tracker, then might as well stop running it and just run the forums. I think you know very well the advantage to a bug tracker if you are working in software development.

I’d wager your concern is that issues that users are working out are sometimes submitted as “bugs” when they very well might not be. Leading to bugs being “worked on” and/or abandoned. Also very annoying if you are the type of team that measures performance based on how many tickets are open in your bug tracker. But this is something every single project I’ve followed has and I will say the FreePBX team has the most hostile approach I’ve seen to date regarding this.

Also, I’ve typically found that development teams don’t want to acknowledge something is a “bug” when there is only 1 or 2 users talking about an issue they are having. Combine that with them not being able to provide the necessary debugging information and these issues tend to just be ignored instead of directing them to provide the necessary information so a determination can be made if the issue really is a bug or not.

Hopefully the team doesn’t take this the wrong way, but I’ve personally felt this way and have seen the sentiment growing. Perhaps it’s time to at least reevaluate your process.

Another thing I have seen is some software will provide a command to run and package up various relevant debug logs to provide for support (like the logs mentioned HERE). That might be somewhat difficult for FreePBX but just an idea.

We have already reevaluated this process from a conversation on DSLReports and the new process was and is well received. EG there is no longer an invalid option and you can comment on closed tickets.

Asking someone to go to the forums for support is not a bad request. Is it?

This already exists in sysadmin

You are mixing my words around. I specifically asked “What gain does the ticket give you over figuring it out here”. I did not say anything about what does a ticket gain you. My question is still valid what does the ticket give you over the forums. Do you (by you I mean anyone) think that by opening a ticket for something that can’t be replicated that suddenly someone will come along and replicate it? Do you think it expedites the process? Do you think it makes things easier to understand? It doesn’t do any of those things. When you work on something that can’t be reproduced in the forums and then you go open a ticket about it how does that help anyone?

Furthermore this whole issue is based around an issue that our own QA department has said is not an issue

Tested with RC1.24 release and the issue is resolved in latest ISO.Closing the ticket.

https://issues.freepbx.org/browse/FREEPBX-15123

So how does opening another ticket (@tonyg opened FREEPBX-15128) about this help anyone? We should be dealing with the issue in the forums. Especially if our own QA team doesn’t run into it but individual users do.

When tickets are opened without valid information we provide this blurb to users

Hi, ,

Thanks for reporting an issue, but you haven’t provided enough information for us to be able to investigate this further!

If you are reporting an issue with the GUI (Such as a ‘Whoops’ error, or something not doing what you’d expect it to do) please add a complete screenshot. In the case of the Whoops error, please ensure you have all the text visible, or, copy and paste all the text provided in the Whoops into the bug report.

Also, before you continue, please make sure you read the error message. It may be something easy for you to fix, such as ‘Unable to write to file’ or similar.

Please make sure you tell us which browser and operating system you’re using, too, in case that has any relevance.

If you are reporting a call being handled incorrectly, we need a complete call trace. If you have the Sysadmin module installed on your machine, you can attach a Support Pack to this ticket. That contains a trace of all calls made in the last 24 hours. It will be much easier for us to find the logs of the erroring call if you make sure that the problem you’re encountering happens immediately before you generate the support pack, so it will be easily visible. Make sure you say which extension/did/etc you are calling in and from so we can track it down.

If you don’t have the sysadmin module installed, ssh into your machine and run ‘asterisk -rvvv’, and then cause the error to happen. Paste the complete log (not just a couple of lines, we need all of it!) into a response here, or, to a pastebin site of your choice and link it here.

We also need to know:

• Software versions (FreePBX, Distro, Asterisk etc.)
  • What you were trying to accomplish, exactly
  • Steps to reproduce.
  • What happened or didn’t happen.
  • What did you expect to happen or not happen.

For further tips on how to provide good debug please see: Sangoma Documentation

The ticket that was opened up against this original issue already had that however. It was in this thread.

FWIW, you’re not the only one experiencing this issue. It’s 100% reproducible here using the latest modules available.

root@FreePBX:~# fwconsole restart
Running FreePBX shutdown…

UCP Node Server is not running
Shutting down Asterisk Gracefully. Will forcefully kill after 30 seconds.
Press C to Cancel
Press N to shut down NOW
[============================] < 1 sec
Running FreePBX startup…
Starting Asterisk…
[============================] 8 secs
Asterisk Started
Starting UCP Node Server…

[Symfony\Component\Process\Exception\ProcessFailedException]
The command “runuser -l ‘asterisk’ -c 'cd /var/www/html/admin/modules/ucp/node && mkdir -p /home/asterisk/.pm2 && mkdir -p /var/www/html/admin/modules/ucp/node/logs && export HOME=”/hom
e/asterisk" && export PM2_HOME=“/home/asterisk/.pm2” && export ASTLOGDIR=“/var/log/asterisk” && export ASTVARLIBDIR=“/var/lib/asterisk” && export PATH=“$HOME/.node/bin:$PATH” && export
NODE_PATH=“$HOME/.node/lib/node_modules:$NODE_PATH” && export MANPATH=“$HOME/.node/share/man:$MANPATH” && /var/www/html/admin/modules/pm2/node/node_modules/pm2/bin/pm2 start /var/www/ht
ml/admin/modules/ucp/node/index.js --name ‘'‘ucp’'’ -e ‘'’/var/log/asterisk/ucp_err.log’'’ -o ‘'’/var/log/asterisk/ucp_out.log’'’ --merge-logs --log-date-format ‘'‘YYYY-MM-DD HH
:mm Z’'’'" failed.
Exit Code: 1(General error)
Working directory: /root
Output:

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

¦ App name ¦ id ¦ mode ¦ pid ¦ status ¦ restart ¦ uptime ¦ cpu ¦ mem ¦ watching ¦
±---------±—±-----±------±-------±--------±-------±----±----------±---------¦
¦ ucp ¦ 0 ¦ fork ¦ 17452 ¦ online ¦ 5 ¦ 12s ¦ 0% ¦ 46.6 MB ¦ disabled ¦
±--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Use pm2 show <id|name> to get more details about an app
Error Output:

[PM2][ERROR] Script already launched, add -f option to force re-execution

reraikes, sorry to hear you are having issues, but I am glad its not just me! hope something comes along soon to fix this.

Thats not the same error Ron. Thanks for participating but your error is not what Tony experienced.

Sorry but these issues are completely separate.

Tony, your issue is this “Error: Cannot find module ‘…/build/Debug/sqlclient’”
Ron, your issue is permissions/startup based. you said it’s 100% reproducible but that’s not what Tony is experiencing at all. No where are you experiencing “Error: Cannot find module ‘…/build/Debug/sqlclient’”

Guys it’s really frustrating when you come into a thread with different information saying something like “FWIW, you’re not the only one experiencing this issue. It’s 100% reproducible here using the latest modules available.” when the issues are completely and utterly different (One is about missing modules the other is about startup issues, which look it did start so the module is not missing). Let’s try to stay focused and on topic. It’s exhausting if not and eventually it wears me out and I just sort of ‘give up’

On that note. Our QA team has full passed this with no issues.

I will investigate Tony’s issue when I have more time. I am currently investigating Ron’s issues but they are separate so a fix would not fix both of them (if this is a bug to begin with)

Thanks for your understanding.

Last week you told me userman 13.0.76.15 had passed QA approval, but we both know how that turned out. :slight_smile:

https://issues.freepbx.org/browse/FREEPBX-15123

Tested with RC1.24 release and the issue is resolved in latest ISO.Closing the ticket.

Considering your issue is not related to this thread perhaps you should start your own thread for your own issue.

fyi, i noticed that there were a boat load of edge updates and I applied them all (including ucp and core). after this, ucp is now starting!!! I am not sure which update did the trick, but all seems good now, thanks for all your efforts!

Just so you are aware we made zero changes to this.

andrew, judging by the errors in the ucp log, i was betting it was an issue with a dependency…is it possible that one of the other updates “righted” everything?..just wondering.

Nope. None of the updates had anything to do with node.

Hello all.

I’m also running FreePBX 14 and I’m experiencing the same problem tonyg was before. Here’s the output from ucp_err.log:

2017-07-07 19:29 -03:00: Error: Cannot find module '../build/Debug/sqlclient'
    at Function.Module._resolveFilename (module.js:485:15)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:437:25)
    at Module.require (module.js:513:17)
    at require (internal/module.js:11:18)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/var/www/html/admin/modules/ucp/node/node_modules/mariasql/lib/Client.js:13:11)
    at Module._compile (module.js:569:30)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:580:10)
    at Module.load (module.js:503:32)
    at tryModuleLoad (module.js:466:12)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:458:3)

Upgrading modules using the edge repository did not fix the issue:

Module(s) requiring upgrades: core, findmefollow, firewall, sangomacrm, setcid, userman

I guess there’s something wrong with npm’s mariasql build process.