Two E1s. One gives me only ascending option, the other only descending option. why?

I have 2 rhino e1 cards. I believe they are configured correctly.
I have them both in group 0.
I can receive calls on both.
I can only make calls on one. I have created outbound routes for each of the E1s
but when i use try to use the second e1 it says channel unavailable.
I think it has to do with the ascending descending options.
In one card I only have an option for descending and in the other only option is ascending, but I think both should be ascending.
Why do I not have both ascending and descending to choose from in each?
thanks,
-gk

ok, so am I allowed to have 2 trunks listed under an outbound route if those 2 trunks are in the same group? I mean, I know i am allowed, cause thats what I did, but would i be getting the failover feature? or is it useless to have 2 trunks if both are on the same group (even if each one belongs to a different telecom)?
thanks again!
-gk

You are correct routes point to trunks, however trunks point to either a single Zap/DAHDI channel or a group, which is a container of DAHDI channels.

You can have all the trunks in the world however you need to bind them the actual resource.

My problem was solved, yet i am trying to to understand this and i dont.
you ask me "How can you have two separate trunks for the same group of channels?"
well, from what I understand, outbound routes make you choose trunks, not groups.
So if I define outbound route #1 to go out through trunk #1 and outbound route #2 to go out through trunk #2, why does it matter what group they are on?
Shouldnt the freepbx interface then have to make me “groups” instead of trunks?
thanks!
-gk

How can you have two separate trunks for the same group of channels?

If all the channels are in Group 0 then the trunk will hunt them as one group.

You would need to distribute the channels into multiple groups to facilitate the scenario you are describing.

How can you use the second e1 when they are both in group 0?

If you do a DAHDI show channels you should see 46 (or 47 if you are using NFAS) channels in Group 0.

hi SkykingOH, I am a bit confused.
I have 2 trunks, i have different outgoing routes for each.

9|. -> outgoing route through trunk 1
8|. -> outgoing route through trunk 2
incoming routes are also 2 each with separate DIDs
but same destination.

I dont understand why i cant go out through them independently
if i can have a different outgoing route for each.

do i need to put them in separate groups?
what situations would i put them in the same group?
thanks for your help,
-gk