Trying to upgrade FPBX 2.11 to v12 (yes I know) I am getting file integrity error

You seem to be “anti-update” and are holding on to “nobody cares if it is old” so WHY do you need freepbx 12?

Distro or not, there is still a lot of added bloat on a default install. Even barebones using absolute minimum modules it still needs a lot more memory. I am already using 64bit Linux so that’s not the reason for all the added memory usage either.

Please define what you mean by ‘added bloat’ above and beyond what you have chosen to install.

(You are totally in charge of that)

If you truly care about memory usage you would use FreePBX 16 on PHP 7.4 as the footprint with everything installed will use less memory

That brings up an interesting point. FPBX15 still uses PHP v5, so trying to use “it’s old software” as an argument is kind of funny when v12 is still using the same major version of PHP. Maybe v16 will use less memory with PHP7, idk. I haven’t tried it yet.

v16 is definitely the way to go.

But FreePBX 15 has been heavily optimosed and a lot of loops and other bad phpisms were cleaned up. This was also done in 13 and 14

I installed FPBX16 to try it out. Still uses the same amount of memory. AJAX reloads on a remote server are still slow as well. FPBX12 is probably about 4-5x faster on remote server reloads via UI for whatever reason.

Maybe take a step backwards, install a bare FBX16, on any platform of your choice, tell us where the reload is a problem and how the reload is slow, having done that, move to step two, restoring your backup.

Anyone else feel like this is a pointless discussion? It like taking to someone who wants to upgrade from Win 3.11 to Win 98 because 11 uses too much memory. I’m sure the client would much prefer a system that is likely to receive support and updates rather than caring how much RAM it’s using. VM costs are so flipping cheap at the moment I just don’t understand!

5 Likes

If your whole argument is “old software bad” you must be horrified at the fact FPBX 15 uses PHP v5. That ‘ancient’ version, to use someone elses description and timeline, is the core of the entire application and affects everything from performance, stability, and security etc. Also, have you looked at the source code? Things have been moved around and renamed but a lot of the original functions are 10, maybe even 20 years old. Slapping a newer version on it doesn’t change that.

Anyways, I am not here to try justify anything to anyone. I am just trying to solve a particular problem. Your comment trying to take it in another direction is not helpful.

You are a typical user in the fact that you don’t care what you are using with the caveats

• It works
  • It is familiar

That said the entire world has moved forward and all documentation and support will revolve around the last 1 or 2 versions. This is where you are sitting. Some of the folks here have never even seen that version. There is a lot of churn in open source. The people who know it the best may be rusty on older stuff and will likely charge for the effort to relearn it and troubleshoot. Fun fact most/all of the current development team has never seen 2.11. So unfortunately you are between a rock and a hard place.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.