Trying to upgrade FPBX 2.11 to v12 (yes I know) I am getting file integrity error

Then you don’t understand the point of the signature system. It doesn’t somehow magically guarantee that modules don’t have any bugs. It tells you whether someone has tampered with your modules.

You asked for evidence and I gave it to you. Now you seem to be trying to change the subject and talk down to me some more. I am just trying to solve the problem because that’s what I do.

I am not changing the subject. You haven’t provided any evidence that the signature system was circumvented, which was what I asked.

Frankly I’m not trying to help. Just turn off the signature system and carry on. I’m addressing your rant about the uselessness of the signature system. Which you don’t understand anyway.

If you think turning off the signature system solves the problem then you do not understand it as well as I do. Trying to twist what I said about it into something else is not helpful.

So what’s your process for upgrading?

Did you try downloading the v12 tarball (http://mirror.freepbx.org/modules/packages/freepbx/freepbx-12.0-latest.tgz) and running the installer, telling it your existing db and asterisk manager credentials? That’s probably the direction I would take in your situation. The tarball has 13 modules in it (14 if you include framework). I don’t know whether you would have to delete your existing /var/www/html/admin path before running the installer or not.

When you’re making this statement you need to be a little more specific on the users. You mean the end users of your PBX deployment? Because then I’ll bite on the 99% of users claim. However, when talking about FreePBX and the Adming GUI the only users would be those with administrative access. I’m not biting on 99% of them being non-technical.

Additionally, while your statement is mainly true (most don’t care what version as long as it works) there is also a follow up to that statement. They don’t care until things start to break when they actually try to do something more. Then they care a great deal to the point they get overly defensive about never updating for almost a decade when asking for help.

Now as I have pointed out before there was an issue with GPG a few years back, bigger than just FreePBX.

This one is from 2016
GPG Verify File check failed - FreePBX - FreePBX Community Forums

This one is from 2019
What is the GPG issue? - FreePBX / Security - FreePBX Community Forums

There are quite a few threads from 2019 and older about the issues with GPG and older keys being poisoned. All of this was handle at the time it was an actual issue and resolutions where current for it. Now that more time has based and there have been various updates to OSes and other levels of software on those systems. The solutions that worked 3-4 years ago might not work now.

The easiest and the most efficient solution to this is to backup your current PBX, install v15 and then restore your backup to it. I have yet to see an actual valid reason as to why this is not the approach being taken thus far.

So there is a lot of back and forth that frankly tl;dr

My recommendation would be to do a backup and restore to a clean copy of 15.

Typically development including security and bug fixes are for the current and previous version so 15 and 16. You could be sitting on a ton of bugs and security issues running software that old that frankly aren’t going to be fixed because they were addressed in a later release. It has been about 10 years, time to update.

1 Like

Any explanation why I am not doing that does not get me any closer to solving my immediate problem. I know that as soon as I bring up feature creep and bloat (among other reasons) on newer versions that will take the discussion off on another tangent. I also don’t need lectures on optimizing the LAMP stack and removing features to try get the memory usage down. I have done more than my fair share of that.

Well you are in the wrong decade for getting support on FreePBX 12, but if that’s the version you most prefer, you should probably fork it and maintain it to your own liking. And learn how to support it on your own. Good luck.

OK. Well you’re going along an unsupported route as of right now. 2.11 to v12 was supported almost a decade ago. Your immediate problem is that GPG keys that were used a decade ago have been poisoned and you cannot use them for signature checks or other checks. As previously stated you would need to turn all this off. If you have done that and you are still having issues then you need to be specific about what you have done/tried and what has not worked and the results. Maybe someone can help with this.

If bloat and whatever is your issue then don’t use the distro. Do a manual install and only install the things you need. Of course if you have any commercial modules, this won’t be an option.

Again, you are doing something that is no longer supported. This is going to require anyone helping you to go back almost a decade and remember the pitfalls of this upgrade and then have to get around a GPG issue that used to exist with older versions but doesn’t anymore.

Or someone well versed to do it for you which won’t be “free”

There is no automated update path here, it has to be done manually.

https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FOP/Version+12.0+Installation

1 Like

You seem to be “anti-update” and are holding on to “nobody cares if it is old” so WHY do you need freepbx 12?

Distro or not, there is still a lot of added bloat on a default install. Even barebones using absolute minimum modules it still needs a lot more memory. I am already using 64bit Linux so that’s not the reason for all the added memory usage either.

Please define what you mean by ‘added bloat’ above and beyond what you have chosen to install.

(You are totally in charge of that)

If you truly care about memory usage you would use FreePBX 16 on PHP 7.4 as the footprint with everything installed will use less memory

That brings up an interesting point. FPBX15 still uses PHP v5, so trying to use “it’s old software” as an argument is kind of funny when v12 is still using the same major version of PHP. Maybe v16 will use less memory with PHP7, idk. I haven’t tried it yet.

v16 is definitely the way to go.

But FreePBX 15 has been heavily optimosed and a lot of loops and other bad phpisms were cleaned up. This was also done in 13 and 14

I installed FPBX16 to try it out. Still uses the same amount of memory. AJAX reloads on a remote server are still slow as well. FPBX12 is probably about 4-5x faster on remote server reloads via UI for whatever reason.

Maybe take a step backwards, install a bare FBX16, on any platform of your choice, tell us where the reload is a problem and how the reload is slow, having done that, move to step two, restoring your backup.