Trunk Selection?

Is there anyway to select a trunk that you want to dial out on before you dial the number? For example, at my work we dial 99 then the number to get an available outside line starting with our last line and if it is busy the next line and so on. I was thinking press 9 then assign a number like 8 and 9 to specific trunks. So then I would dial 99 (Number) to use trunk 1 and 98 (Number) for trunk 2. OR repeat what it does at my work. Dial 99 and the first available trunk is used for that call. Is this possible?

http://www.freepbx.org/support/documentation/howtos/hints-on-route-dial-patterns-and-trunk-dial-rules

The short answer is yes BUT you may have to create routes and trunks in sets, for example a route with patterns starting with 98 (or 99) that accesses only the trunk(s) you wish to use when that code is dialed. Hopefully the above document will help you think the problem through, but if you get stuck please feel free to ask again.

Rossiv,

By default if you have everything in one trunk group (E1/T1/PRI for example). calls come in starting at the first channel in the trunk, and go out by starting at the end of the trunk and working backwards. This is normal and you don’t need to do anything special to get it to happen.

If you are using a collection of POTS lines then it will do the same thing as long as you put them in the order you want them used least.

i.e. Line 4 use first, line 3 use second. line 2 use third,… put them into a zaptel group by numbering them 1, 2, 3, 4.

There is nothing extra special to do to get this to happen past ordering the lines properly with zaptel.