Trouble with outbound dial route

Is there a way to edit extensions.conf from inside the web based GUI? My freePBX installation is running on a small box that doesn’t have a monitor or a keyboard, so the web interface is really all I have available to me. I can currently receive calls with my DID, but I’m having a hard time getting the outbound route configured so I can place calls. The following directions, provided by voip.ms, look helpful but they don’t seem to fit in the three fields available to me on the outbound route configuration page. So apparently I need to edit extensions.conf

Can someone help me? I’ve spent far too many days trying to get this thing up and running.

Thank you!

“If you want to dial without the 1, or without the 1+area code, here’s how you can do it. Edit extensions.conf. Note that in our example, when we match NXXNXXXXXX, we add a 1 in front of the number to dial.
Dial(SIP/1${EXTEN}@voipms). In the 7 digits example, let’s say your area code is 214. When you dial 7 numbers, the dial command will add 1214 in front. Dial(SIP/1214@{EXTEN}@voipms). Replace the 214 by the area code you want your local calls to be.”

1. To reach the command line from a remote computer, use a terminal program like putty.

2. You should be able to do everything you need to do with the dial pattern manipulation features of outbound routes and/or trunks setup.

BF

Yes, you should know how to ssh to your system with a client such as putty.

More importantly those instructions are for Asterisk not FreePBX, you can’t edit the config files directly as FreePBX owns them.

You can do all the digit manipulations either in the outbound route or the trunk.

As Skyking said, use putty or WinSCP if you’re on windows. I use both as I find it easier to navigate around the directories, can edit right from it onto one of my editors. I mainly use putty for reboots, restarts and other commands I need to issue.

WinSCP is great for transferring files. Never use the built in editor. It can introduce random control characters into the files that are difficult to find and cause all sorts of issues.

Here is a guide to configuring outbound routes via the GUI: http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/F2/Outbound+Routes-Guides+and+Videos There are also guides for configuring Trunks and extensions available in the wiki as well. All of this can be done inside the GUI.