Trouble with high call volume

Historically there were physical channel limitations. Places like Telnyx, etc let you set those at their side but until you set them they may or may not have a default limit. BulkVS, for example, will have a default limit of 75 channels per trunk. You can go in and remove that. Flowroute, on the other hand, doesn’t limit your channels but they limit your CPS. They don’t limit channels because you are paying per minute for every call.

All that is gone, the people that understand that stuff are retired. I think I got through to someone that can help me but at this point I’ve got to shuffle machines off this server so I can assign more cores to this machine, this is what 12,000 ring requests a minute looks line in htop

Yea, those cores are getting a workout.

The cores won’t help you much. Asterisk and alot of things in FreePBX are not designed to take advantage of more cores in a lot of call flow scenarios because of the use of AGIs and different applications. This machine is already way over powered. You need to choke the amount of call attempts from the carrier.

1 Like

Correct the core of Asterisk is but a lot of things are not Multi Core that are utilized. For example most calls flow through AGIs in FreePBX in PHP which are not multi core optimized and a bottleneck and a lot of them use Node.js for the fast AGI portion which is synchronous application. What I am saying is throwing more CPUs or cores at the problem won’t solve it.

You also run into the task processor queues and how much they can take before they start ignoring things.

What I’m paying for is 80 RTP, they send me requests until my server dies. I think I got it worked out with the phone company, but it took 6 hours on the phone, and finding someone that I could discuss the differences between 5ESS and DMS100, because she remembered the days when they knew how to deal with high volume… I was a 1A2 master… working on being a SIP master, if I can just figure out where to plug in the interrupter :slight_smile:

His profile appears he is from a radio station so I could see this being a valid volume

Yes, now that I know it’s six radio stations that volume makes sense.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.