Transfer call, but keep listening

Hey there,

probably a very simple question, however I couldn’t think of a way to accomplish it easily.

I want to be able to transfer a call to an extension but keep listening to it. Not like a conference, really just listening. If the callee hangs up, the call is supposed to end and stuff. Pretty much an instant snoop.

It’s fine if it has to be configured on a per-extension-basis, as this is only supposed to be used on a small amount of (mostly virtual) extensions.

Any ideas on how to accomplish that?

There are a couple of options, but none of them are exactly what you’re looking for.

1. ChanSpy allows you to listen to a call you aren’t part of. Once you transfer the call and terminate the transfer, you can chanspy the extension you just transferred to. The nice part is that you can do it on a per-extension basis on the fly. The bad part is that you have to dial it to listen in on the call.

2. Attended transfer will let you stay on the call, but won’t terminate the call if one of the two primary correspondents hangs up. The advantage is that you can do this without any intervention.

A third possibility exists, but it will take a lot more work. Create a new transfer context that allows you to automatically pass the call off and then connect using ChanSpy. This will require setting up a new context and may also require some coding and debugging, but it mixes what 1) and 2) do while giving you the functionality you are looking for.

Hey there, sorry for coming back so late.

The two features you mentioned seem to be good enough for me, thank you! They obviously don’t do everything I asked for, but it’s better than nothing. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.