To vm or not?

Right I get that. What happens during the MTTR while they are fixing it? If someone is spending all this money on HA to ensure calls always happen, wouldn’t they have a backup for the PRI?

And I’m genuinely asking. I have 3 PBXes that touch PRIs and those are with gateways and they don’t have any failover solutions. Everyone else that has failover solutions is a 100% IP based.

Seriously missing the point here dude this is a contract with a provider ,

How? I’m asking what happens when the actual PSTN connection goes. What is the plan for that? Again, having a HA/failover solution seems pointless if a F5 connector goes bad.

There is no point, the provider provides the dids, when it is broken, the provider needs to fix it or if a local problem we do , do you actually have any TDM connections or are you just being contrary?

Yes, the provider provides the DIDs and can also initiate a Call Forwarding failover if needed. So while things are down you could be CFing your calls to a back up service.

Like I said, when I do solutions like this it’s a 100% IP so if the primary Internet connection goes down everything flips over to the secondary including the routing of the incoming calls. I was really curious about what the current practices are for a TDM based connection to the PSTN in these scenarios.

Again, please answer, do you have any experience with TDM connections? If not, I suggest you are maybe out of your league , no?

What part of “While I was at the LEC…” followed by when PRI customers are down was screaming “I don’t have TDM experience” or the fact I said I have three PBXes on PRIs but they don’t do failover was not clear? Yes, I have experience with TDM. I made an active choice after years of dealing with DS1/3’s, PRIs, etc. that I didn’t like dealing with TDM based crap and went 100% SIP only with what I do. That was over 5 years ago.

So again when I said I was curious about current practices I mean as in currently, like this moment in time as it has been over 5 years. I’m also noticing you’re still avoiding my question so I’ll take your previous comment of “When PRI is down, it’s down.” and just leave it at that.

So in essence, ’ I have nothing to offer here in this thread’ apart from letting us all know that ’ I’m really good and know what I’m talking about ( seems a little trumpian to me) but thank you for your input. Please just post your answer, without prejudice

OK let me put it to you this way. I would be one of the guys on the provider side that would be fixing the PRI or T1 or T3 if it was down. I have never been on the PBX vendor side of things. So putting together on-premises failover solutions for TDM based PBX systems is something I’ve never done.

So when I say the provider can do things like Call Forward your incoming calls while the PRI is down so you, as the customer, can continue to receive incoming calls to your backup solution. It’s because that’s exactly what we did as the request of the customer. Setup automatic failover for incoming calls.

I seriously was asking a genuine question out of pure curiosity because this is an area I’m not well versed in (TDM based PBX solutions and yes I can admit it.). Not only that I was asking you specifically because you seem to know your crap about doing TDM based PBX solutions. Instead you somehow got hurt feels and got hostile with me. Sorry, I won’t make the mistake again.

No hurt feelings, no crap, just a very solid knowledge of how it works, call that arrogance if you want, I’m sure you can relate to that :wink: please don’t make your interpretation you are very wrong :wink: , I offer a solution , you offer pissy, why would you want to do that ? When it’s broke you need to know why, I believe I know, I offer a rational solution, I doubt whether you do, that’s all.

Hi Dicko,

Tom asked a simple question.

If you invest in HA (or PBX failover) what failover do you have for the actual PRI circuit itself?

There’s no need for long explanations how PRI works, just tell us if there is a solution, and what it is…

For the nth time, I suggest parallel Sangoma pci cards, the active one in low impedance, the standby one in hi Z.

A failed Telco span would just need a redundant span in the same huntgroup in exactly the same way that any HA solution depends on redundant servers, networks, block storage devices, sip gateways, power supplies etc.

There are often messy to manage and expensive rcf setups also available, but bear in mind there are likely 100+ routes to manage. and adds, moves and changes are better managed in just one place.

In reality just don’t use PRI’s in this day and age. Just ask the telcos., They don’t any more. TDMA is rightly following Earnestine. Into retirement

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.