Telephone Switch for Villages

Hi
I am an electronic engineer and I am also,
programming computers,actually I am looking to create a new telephone switch for our village,because our telephone switch is old and I want replace it with a new one.
But I have no idea where should I go,what should I need to do.
I want to know that if a PBX suits our need.
please guide and give me a solution.
Thanks
Best Regards

What is type of infrastructure are you working with? What type of endpoints/phones are in use?

If your infrastructure is poor and resources limited you can take a look at the Mesh Potato for connectivity http://villagetelco.org/mesh-potato/ It’s an Open-hardware project.

If you have a good copper plant back to the existing switch then you can use Asterisk/FreePBX, very well in fact. Just front end in with channel banks that have enough current to drive the copper.

You may find you already have existing channel banks in the form of T1C SLIC’s.

How many subscriber lines, how far from CO, what is the CO type, what type of trunks come into the village from the serving city?

Hi
Thanks for sending me this informations.
First I need to tell you that,the PSTN that connected to the village switch is working base on E1,and every home in the village has a copper wire pair linked to the village’s switch and I believe that a two core optical fiber came to village too,So I need to have a telephone switch,that can be connected to the PSTN based on E1 or V5 signalling system,and can be replaced easily with current switch.
It seems that the mesh potato project is wireless.
actually we need to replace the current switch and we are not looking for a wireless network.
Thank You Very Much For Sending Me This Information,
please tell me is a PBX system are going to suits our needs,
our what kind of telephone system I need to look for it.
Best Regards

Hi
First I need to tell you that,the PSTN that connected to the village switch is working base on E1,and every home in the village has a copper wire pair linked to the village’s switch and I believe that a two core optical fiber came to village too,So I need to have a telephone switch,that can be connected to the PSTN based on E1 or V5 signalling system,and can be replaced easily with current switch.
please tell me is a PBX system are going to suits our needs,
our what kind of telephone system I need to look for it.
and I think we are going to have more than 400 subscriber for every village.and I think the switch must be expandable.
actually I don’t know that what can we name a Telephone Exchange in a village,is it kind of PSTN?or it has a special name.
and PBX as I understood is for business.
Best Regards

PBX, switch, the terms are relative.

You need a device that can switch calls from the E1 gateway to the channel banks that serve the FXS ports connected to the subscribers.

Provisioning, billing, and maintenance interface requirements is what usually procludes using open source CO projects. However if you are and end office service 600 lines and don’t have to meet corporate engineering standards you are good to go.

So think of Asterisk as the Class 4 tandem, Class 5 end office and Feature Server (per 3GPP).

I would just use a voice enabled router with a bunch of E1 ports like a Cisco ASR5400 to connect the E1 lines to Asterisk.

Hi
Thanks for sending me this usefull informations,
First I want to know where should I need to start,
2nd,I want to know,that is that any resources on the internet (tutorials,books, etc) that will help me with this task,
third,about the hardware,is that any resources or any open hardware projects,that might help me,because as I understood,I need to buy hardware from digium.
can we design some hardware that would be compatible with Asterisk.
Do you have any recommendations about working on this task.
I belive that Feature Server (per 3GPP) is a mobile broadband standard,but this project is all about landline and we have optical fiber and we can’t use mobile network,could you please tell me about this things.
Thank you very very much
Best Regards
You’ve been very helpful.

No 3GPP also addresses landline over IP and MAPS Feature Groups B,C,D to SIP call flows.

I don’t know what you mean build hardware. I can’t imagine you would build anything from scratch. Channel banks needed to drive the cable distances are available on the used market for scrap value as most all countries have gone to fiber pair gain devices.

You don’t need to use any Digium hardware, you need telco grade stuff. Just get a Cisco router that will run version 12.4 code (again a 3660 sells for scrap metal prices) and put in your E1 interfaces. You are going to be E1 in and E1 out. The outputs will connect to the channel banks that will then convert to analog and provide the proper current and ring voltage generation.

You need to study telephony engineering and read up on all the Asterisk stuff you can.