TDM800P Echo Cancellation Not Detected

We do not support the VPMADT032 firmware. They informed us we could not compile that into a RPM for legal reasons so without a RPM there is no way for us to include it since we are all RPM based.

Digium have now confirmed this that the firmware cannot be re-distributed by third parties but the firmware is available on their site. I am hazy to say the least on how to go about installing this, is it a simple process or will i need help from Digium?

Makes it tough for guys like you since we can not just roll that into a RPM and include it in the Distro for people who use their cards. Not sure on the install process myself as we use only Sangoma Cards.

Digium have said they will help so I will take up their offer and then will share instructions with everyone.

I have now been able to obtain the VPMADTO32 Dahdi Hardware Echo Canceller firmware which is available from Digium by running these commands:

wget http://packages.digium.com/centos/5/current/i386/RPMS/kmod-dahdi-linux-fwload-vpmadt032-2.6.0-1_centos5.$(uname -r | sed ‘s/-//’).i686.rpm
rpm -i kmod-dahdi-linux-fwload-vpmadt032-2.6.0-1_centos5.$(uname -r | sed 's/-/
/’).i686.rpm

The rpm used is kernel dependent so I have added commands into the strings to automatically check the kernel version and put it into the form required to correspond to the appropriate Digium rpm file. This saves having to search for the correct rpm file.

dmesg does show a tainted kernel after the load which I think is because the Digium firmware is not issued under the GPL licence. I have asked Digium to comment on this and I am awaiting a response.

I am wondering Tony if it would be legally acceptable for something to be added to the Distro install and upgrade scripts to pull this firmware direct from the Digium servers during the install. If it is it might get round the distribution problem.

No at this time we will not include something like that. I bet your main problem is our version of dahdi is slightly different than what this was built for so it is causing issues. Also they dont have that RPM for all the kernels we use and I am told they do not plan on building RPMs of that firmware for newer kernels as that echo cancellation has been end of life.