TDM800P Echo Cancellation Not Detected

Thanks Tony, my last message crossed with yours. I will wait until you have things sorted before doing anything else.

Guys

Newest upgrade is published that fixes the dahdi-firmware issue. Please upgrade.

http://www.freepbx.org/forum/freepbx-distro/distro-discussion-help/release-versions

Also the 1.8.4.x disk that has been out for a few weeks of the ISO will automatically still work and install this latest release.

Thanks for the feedback.

Everything working great again, just installed two systems.

When I upgrade DAHDI through Admin Module, I get this error after the process:
exit: 1
found language dir fr for directory, not installed on system, skipping
Failed to backup old config: Permission denied
[FATAL] INSERT INTO dahdi_spans (span, framing, definedchans, coding, signalling, switchtype, syncsrc, lbo, pridialplan, prilocaldialplan, group, context) VALUES [nativecode=1064 ** You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘’ at line 1]

Trace Back:

/var/www/html/admin/modules/dahdiconfig/functions.inc.php:1107 die_freepbx()
[0]: INSERT INTO dahdi_spans (span, framing, definedchans, coding, signalling, switchtype, syncsrc, lbo, pridialplan, prilocaldialplan, group, context) VALUES [nativecode=1064 ** You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘’ at line 1]

/var/www/html/admin/modules/dahdiconfig/functions.inc.php:461 dahdi_cards->write_spans()

/var/www/html/admin/modules/dahdiconfig/functions.inc.php:184 dahdi_cards->load()

/var/www/html/admin/modules/dahdiconfig/functions.inc.php:34 dahdi_cards->dahdi_cards()

/var/lib/asterisk/bin/retrieve_conf:399 dahdiconfig_conf->dahdiconfig_conf()

1 error(s) occurred, you should view the notification log on the dashboard or main screen to check for more details.

And in the FreePBX notices:

Symlink from modules failed Ignore this

retrieve_conf failed to sym link:
/etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf from dahdiconfig/etc
This can result in FATAL failures to your PBX. If the target file exists and not identical, the symlink will not occur and you should rename the target file to allow the automatic sym link to occur and remove this error, unless this is an intentional customization.
Added 16 hours, 54 minutes ago
(retrieve_conf.SYMLINK)

Yes the old Echo Cancellation modules for analog cards used a special firmware that will not compile with Dahdi 2.6 is what I have been told by numerous people.

Have you tried rebooting. I wonder if it just never loaded the new dahdi after the upgrade. Also check the update logs to see if their are any errors.

I had already reboooted the system after the upgrade so don’t think that was the problem, however, the very strange thing is that I just took the system down to remove the echo canceller module to return it to Digium and when the system came back up it is now showing dahdi 2.6.1 and the software mg2 canceller has kicked in and the echo has disappeared.

I spoke to Digium support, they are sending me a replacement hardware echo canceller module, they believe it may be a hardware/software incompatibility as the echo canceller is four years old. I am impressed, they are doing this free of charge.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating when I get the new module we will know if that is indeed the problem.

It would still be good to know why I have not gone to dahdi 2.6.1 with the upgrade?

I had noticed this as well, have checked that I am definitely on 1.811.210.57-2 but a dahdi show version from the asterisk command line shows DAHDI Version: 2.6.0 Echo Canceller: HWEC, MG2. It is interesting that it does recognize the hardware canceller is present although the firmware has not loaded. I did a fxotune and that has dropped the echo to a level where it is possible to talk but it is still there.

I did upgrade from the scripts and it would seem that Dahdi has not gone to 2.6.1, I wonder why?

I have just installed a Digium AEX800 card in a system at Distro 1.811.210.57-2. I am experiencing heavy echo. It seems to me that the firmware for the hardware echo canceler has not loaded. This looks like a similar problem to the one discussed in this thread. Does anyone have any insight into this.

Here is the relevant dmesg output:

dahdi: Telephony Interface Registered on major 196
dahdi: Version: 2.5.0.1
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:08:08.0[A] -> GSI 40 (level, low) -> IRQ 210
wctdm24xxp 0000:08:08.0: Port 1: Installed – AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
wctdm24xxp 0000:08:08.0: Port 2: Installed – AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
wctdm24xxp 0000:08:08.0: Port 3: Installed – AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
wctdm24xxp 0000:08:08.0: Port 4: Installed – AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
wctdm24xxp 0000:08:08.0: Port 5: Installed – AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
wctdm24xxp 0000:08:08.0: Port 6: Installed – AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
wctdm24xxp 0000:08:08.0: Port 7: Installed – AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
eth0: no IPv6 routers present
wctdm24xxp 0000:08:08.0: Port 8: Installed – AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
wctdm24xxp 0000:08:08.0: Failed to load the firmware.
wctdm24xxp 0000:08:08.0: Found a Wildcard TDM: Wildcard AEX800 (0 BRI spans, 8 analog channels)
dahdi_transcode: Loaded.
INFO-xpp: revision Unknown MAX_XPDS=64 (88)
INFO-xpp: FEATURE: without BRISTUFF support
INFO-xpp: FEATURE: with PROTOCOL_DEBUG
INFO-xpp: FEATURE: with sync_tick() from DAHDI
INFO-xpp_usb: revision Unknown
usbcore: registered new driver xpp_usb
Bluetooth: HIDP (Human Interface Emulation) ver 1.1
ip_tables: © 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
usbcore: deregistering driver xpp_usb
NOTICE-xpp: toplevel_release
dahdi_transcode: Unloaded.
wctdm24xxp 0000:08:08.0: Freed a Wildcard
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:08:08.0 disabled
dahdi: Telephony Interface Unloaded
dahdi: Telephony Interface Registered on major 196
dahdi: Version: 2.6.0
PCI: Enabling device 0000:08:08.0 (0140 -> 0143)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:08:08.0[A] -> GSI 40 (level, low) -> IRQ 210
wctdm24xxp 0000:08:08.0: Failed to load the firmware.
wctdm24xxp 0000:08:08.0: Port 1: Installed – AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
wctdm24xxp 0000:08:08.0: Port 2: Installed – AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
wctdm24xxp 0000:08:08.0: Port 3: Installed – AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
wctdm24xxp 0000:08:08.0: Port 4: Installed – AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
wctdm24xxp 0000:08:08.0: Port 5: Installed – AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
wctdm24xxp 0000:08:08.0: Port 6: Installed – AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
wctdm24xxp 0000:08:08.0: Port 7: Installed – AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
wctdm24xxp 0000:08:08.0: Port 8: Installed – AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
wctdm24xxp 0000:08:08.0: Found a Wildcard TDM: Wildcard AEX800 (0 BRI spans, 8 analog channels)
dahdi_transcode: Loaded.
INFO-xpp: revision Unknown MAX_XPDS=64 (8
8)
INFO-xpp: FEATURE: with PROTOCOL_DEBUG
INFO-xpp: FEATURE: with sync_tick() from DAHDI
INFO-xpp_usb: revision Unknown
usbcore: registered new driver xpp_usb
wctdm24xxp 0000:08:08.0: – Setting echo registers:
wctdm24xxp 0000:08:08.0: – Set echo registers successfully

It appears that you are still running DAHDI 2.6.0. 1.811.210.57-2 should have upgraded you to DAHDI 2.6.1.

Did you install FreePBX Distro recently, or have you been running the upgrade scripts?

Just to close this off, I received the hardware echo canceller module from digium and firmware loaded correctly and it is working just fine.

Digium replaced the old VPMADT032 module with a VPMOCT032 module which cured the problem, however, when I upgraded another system I encountered the same problem, firmware not loading to a VPMADT032 module.

This time when I contacted Digium they asked if they could look at the system as the VPMADTO32 module should be compatible with the latest Dahdi version so I granted them access to the system.

Digium advised that they were unable to find the firmware for the VPMADT032 module on the system and that they were able to load the firmware once they had corrected this.

It seems to me that the Distro may only be pulling firmware for the VPMOCT032 and not for the VPMADT032.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem?

We do not support the VPMADT032 firmware. They informed us we could not compile that into a RPM for legal reasons so without a RPM there is no way for us to include it since we are all RPM based.

Digium have now confirmed this that the firmware cannot be re-distributed by third parties but the firmware is available on their site. I am hazy to say the least on how to go about installing this, is it a simple process or will i need help from Digium?

Makes it tough for guys like you since we can not just roll that into a RPM and include it in the Distro for people who use their cards. Not sure on the install process myself as we use only Sangoma Cards.

Digium have said they will help so I will take up their offer and then will share instructions with everyone.

I have now been able to obtain the VPMADTO32 Dahdi Hardware Echo Canceller firmware which is available from Digium by running these commands:

wget http://packages.digium.com/centos/5/current/i386/RPMS/kmod-dahdi-linux-fwload-vpmadt032-2.6.0-1_centos5.$(uname -r | sed ‘s/-//’).i686.rpm
rpm -i kmod-dahdi-linux-fwload-vpmadt032-2.6.0-1_centos5.$(uname -r | sed 's/-/
/’).i686.rpm

The rpm used is kernel dependent so I have added commands into the strings to automatically check the kernel version and put it into the form required to correspond to the appropriate Digium rpm file. This saves having to search for the correct rpm file.

dmesg does show a tainted kernel after the load which I think is because the Digium firmware is not issued under the GPL licence. I have asked Digium to comment on this and I am awaiting a response.

I am wondering Tony if it would be legally acceptable for something to be added to the Distro install and upgrade scripts to pull this firmware direct from the Digium servers during the install. If it is it might get round the distribution problem.

No at this time we will not include something like that. I bet your main problem is our version of dahdi is slightly different than what this was built for so it is causing issues. Also they dont have that RPM for all the kernels we use and I am told they do not plan on building RPMs of that firmware for newer kernels as that echo cancellation has been end of life.