Take another extension from my phone?

asterisk
freepbx
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fafc10fc968> #<Tag:0x00007fafc10fc7b0>

(Hs) #1

Hi!
I’m new to FreePBX/Asterisk. I use FreePBX 14.0.13.4 and my server is up and running.

Now I need a feature and I have no clue how to proceed. The docs and google did not help…

I want to be able to take over another extension from my phone.
Yes: I can actually forward on the other extension to my phone but that is not enough.
Is there a way to make another extension forward its calls to my phone from my phone?

TIA,

HS

(Itzik) #2

Without a custom dialplan I don’t think so.

However, you can use call groups and pickup groups or dial **EXT to answer calls from other extensions while it’s ringing.

(France) #3

Not exactly the answer you are waiting for, but the best work-around I found and current use is the ring groups option. After a while without an answer, the ring group to which the extension belongs rings too, and then you can take the call.

(Hs) #4

I guess I go the ring groups way.
Is it possible to enable and disable a ring group membership from a phone?
E.g. the telephone exchange person is unavailable I’d like to enter the ring group so that I can takeover. In case the telephone exchange person is back again I’d like to disable it again.

(France) #5

Yes, you can indeed. Just remove the extension from the ring group list in Freepbx

But… that would defeat the Ring Group purpose. If the person is available then he/she would pick up the phone, right ? So the Ring Group would not ring … :slight_smile:

(Itzik) #6

OP is asking if he can control it from a phone. That was OP’s original question. Not sure how a ring group would help here.

(France) #7

@PitzKey itzKey: You are right. Apologies

@HELSup: No, not from a phone…

(Hs) #8

I did some further testing and it seems so that I got a catch-22 :frowning:

The goal is to decide where the incoming call should ring depending if the telephone exchange person is available or not.

When I use a ring group it would work if the group members are changed in FreePBX (possible but a configuration on phone would be preferred).
The catch is here that it is no longer possible to make a forward to an announcement (lunch break, weekend, etc.) because the announcement works for one phone, only.

When I use an extension I can only pick up incomming calls and there is no real ringing (BFL makes a beep and is blinking).
But forwarding to an announcement works as wanted.

Currently I look for a way how my requirements could be solved. It is really hard for a FreePBX/Asterisk Newbie :wink:

(Itzik) #9

With Queues you can easily log in out users from your phone using the *45 feature code (look it up in the wiki) or if you have PhoneApps you can manage the queue from your phone.