I currently have these items ready to purchase, which I’m hoping could result in the same thing (an image of the failing drive).
My thought was:
- use Ultimate Boot CD to load Linux on any of our Windows PC’s,
- put the failing IDE drive in that USB enclosure,
- connect both the USB enclosure and the new WD Gold SATA drive to the Windows PC running boot CD’s linux environment,
- use Clonezilla or Parted Magic, which come included on Ultimate Boot CD 5.3.8,
- assuming I can get a clone of the failing drive onto the new gold drive, use that IDE-SATA 40-pin adapter to hook up the new gold drive back into the phone server.
OR, possibly, instead of that IDE adapter, I wonder if I can drop the new gold drive into a SATA-USB enclosure and set THAT as the boot device, and boot from the removable enclosure…