System sticks at 'Setting base permissions...'

Hello,

My FreePBX distro has (previously) been running without problem.

FreePBX distro 10.13.66-20; Asterisk 11.25.1

On reboot, fwconsole start, or any update script, eventually the system gets to:

...
Running FreePBX startup...
Taking too long? Customize the chown command, See http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FOP/FreePBX+Chown+Conf
Setting Permissions...
Setting base permissions...

And then nothing more.

using ‘top’ at the CLI shows the command ‘find’ at the top of the list, consitently using 6-8% of the CPU, seemingly with no end in sight.

Setting verbosity to -vvv gives me no insight, yielding:

[[email protected] ~]# fwconsole chown -vvv
Setting Permissions...
Setting base permissions...

and then nothing more.

I’ve let the system sit at that point for over an hour…no change…‘find’ remains taking up 6-8% of the CPU.

If I use ‘fwconsole restart’ it gets asterisk running as that apparently skips the chown step.

After that starts, the GUI reported:

Reload failed because retrieve_conf encountered an error: 1

Log from System Admin module regarding the update to 66-20 looks clean:

2017-05-11 17:17:36: (10.13.66-20) Now running 10.13.66-20 script
2017-05-11 17:17:36: (10.13.66-20) Starting stage 1
2017-05-11 17:20:59: (10.13.66-20) Stage 1 complete
...2...3...4...5...6...
2017-05-11 17:39:00: (10.13.66-20) Upgrade script complete
2017-05-11 17:39:00: (10.13.66-20) Upgrade process successfully completed!

I have not had to reboot since that update, until this morning, so things had been running well for months after that update.

I have not had an /etc/asterisk/freepbx_chown.conf file when the system was operating previously.

I would gladly blacklist offending directories/files, if I knew which to blacklist.

In an attempt to get past this I did create a freepbx_chown.conf temporarily with:

[blacklist]
directory = /

But that made no difference so I removed it.

At the console, my system is still at “Setting base permissions…”, but through ssh I have it running via ‘fwconsole restart’ and as far as my users know, everything is working fine.

I appreciate any thoughts anyone has on my chown issue.

Thanks.

I accidentally created a symlink directory loop in one of the directories under the webserver when I was doing some unrelated work on a server and caused a problem like this.

Perhaps running a ‘find /’ and running the output to the console might give you some insight?

1 Like

BINGO!

When I stopped the listing flying by the last entry contained:

/var/spool/asterisk/tmp/backup-3/var/spool/asterisk/tmp/backup-3/var/spool/asterisk/tmp/backup-3/var/spool/asterisk/tmp/backup-3/var/spool/asterisk/tmp/backup-3/var/spool/asterisk/tmp/backup-3/var/spool/asterisk/tmp/backup-3/var/spool/asterisk/tmp/backup-3/var/spool/asterisk/tmp/backup-3/var/spool/asterisk/tmp/backup-3/var/spool/asterisk/tmp/backup-3/var/spool/asterisk/tmp/backup-3/var/spool/asterisk/tmp/backup-3/var/… and so on.

It was over 50 repeated levels of levels /var/spool/asterisk/tmp/backup-3 deep - I have no idea why it ever stopped.

But these were actual directories with files in each of them.

Apparently my backup has been on a tear.

The ‘rm’ command is about to get a workout.

Now to track down that piece of the puzzle.

Thank you!

1 Like