System specs

I am new to asterisk and freepbx, and am building a system to install freepbx on through asterisknow, and I would love to use something that does not use a ton of power.

In an environment where I am only going to have 2 or 3 trunks, 10 extensions, and a call frequency that averages less than 10 per hour, does anybody think something like a dual-core Atom 330 would be too little processing power for this setup?

Also, if we’re not recording our phone calls, should such a setup be content with as little as 16GB of hard drive space? (I ask again for power reasons… dual 16G SSD drives versus dual 250G or 500G drives in a raid1 config)

Thanks in advance for any help or thoughts anybody can share.

I have installed AsteriskNOW 1.7.1 on a 4GB DOM in one system, and an 8GB IDE flash drive in another system. Both work fine.

I have had a system running on a 500MHz Celeron also. The webinterface was a bit slow, but no problems otherwise.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Thanks guys, it’s good to know that the hardware I was thinking about will be more than adequate for our system.

I’m running asterisk+freepbx on this http://www.settoplinux.org/index.php?title=RCA_RM4100 for over 5 years (15+ extensions, 12 trunks). HDD is a 2GB CF card. Never had issues with lack of memory or CPU. So your setup is more than sufficient.

The dual core Atom’s work great. Use a SSD for a no moving parts system.