System Recordings - volume issues

I’m running
Kernel Version 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5 (SMP)
Distro Name CentOS release 5 (Final)
Asterisk (Ver. 1.4.22

Can anyone tell me how to download a custom recording so I can use audacity (or something similar) to increase the volume, It’s far too low specifically on my IVR intro menu.

Thanks so much.

Describe more of your setup. The type of connection you have to the PSTN will make a difference in regards to the volume. If it’s POTS and you have an FXO card, you can play with txgain. If it’s SIP, you’ll have to use audacity (or something) like you were saying to change the levels of the recordings. All the default recordings are normalized at -0.3dB, and (I think) they’re stored in /var/lib/asterisk/sounds, but I’m not near a system that I can connect to at the moment. You can download them using winscp, modify the levels and re-upload them and test. Your results may be unsatisfactory at first if you’re not a pro audio engineer.

Again, good luck.

As a newbie to linux, it’s more an issue of accessing the files onto my pc. i’m not bad at the modifying part. Can you explain how to do this. Am I correct that you cannot pull your own files out via the GUI?

I don’t think there is a way to do it via FreePBX at the moment. Regardless here’s the general idea of doing it using winscp. Note that this is from memory:

1. get winscp. google it.

2. use winscp to connect to your server as root (you should know your root password.)

3. use winscp to change the remote directory to the directory I mentioned before (again, that’s from memory, sorry if it’s wrong. poke around, use google – you’ll find it.)

4. download the file

5. edit the file using your favorite audio application

6. upload the file to the same place (I highly recommend keeping a backup.)

HTH.

I’ll give it a shot.