Sysadmin update broke module on version 1.810.210.57-1 / 2.11.0.11

Haven’t tested, but after performing rpm update (and seemingly receiving errors) FreePBX resolved the requirements for sysadmin and let me apply settings! All is well.

Thanks Tony. Best of luck.

PS - To that other guy: thanks for hijacking my thread. Get your own.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Try:

[font=Courier]yum install lsof[/font] (if you system hasn’t it yet)

then

[font=Courier]yum update sysadmin[/font]

(On October 5th, sysadmin-2.6.1-158_centos6.noarch.rpm was quite immediately released after the 155 built).

Finally try to (force) a (re)install of the System Admin FreePBX Module, as example, by doing (see here) via Linux CLI:

[font=Courier]amportal a ma -f install sysadmin[/font]

I have a FreePBX Distro 4.211.64-7 and I hadn’t any issue with the System Admin Module update process (I explained what I did in this other thread).

The latest sysadmin rpm should require lsof itself. So if you do yum update sysadmin, it should also pull down and install lsof.

Hi all

I have just started having the above mentioned issue today. I am running a heavy production system plus backup. I am very surprised that you suggest upgrading upto CentOS 6 and that you stopped producing centos 5 rpm’s last year, this is the first module that has given me problems, why is this one different to the others?

What’s involved in upgrading from 5 to 6?

This is obviously going to be a big deal with various cards, 3rd party programs etc installed. I may end up just stopping future updates and running the system as it is from now on.

I have just sat down and properly read this thread and have to agree 100% with what parnassus is saying. My particular system that I built from scratch is only a year and a bit old. I am still learning and still developing it and it works extremely well. I can’t justify to the powers at be that I have to scrap it and start again with CentOS 6. Upgrading the existing in situ will cause all sorts o headaches not just for me but I’m sure many system admins out there have exactly the same problem - For example I run the full Dell Openmanage Suite - Maybe not a big deal to most folks but it was for me to get it going in the first place.

When I attempted the update this morning (on the backup only, not done the primary yet) it failed and then disabled the module ‘Pending Update’. It would not let me roll back so I was stuck. I have since installed using the rpm mentioned. I assume this is now going to be an issue going forward. Why does it not seem to be a problem with other modules?

I upgraded to 2.11 a few months ago and thought this would be a good rolling program for many months to come.

I would be perfectly happy if I could now downgrade my backup systems sysadmin to 2.11.0.19 to be the same as the primary. I will then stop applying updates from now on.

Sorry for duplicating what has already been said but I’m just wanting to get across my side o this issue.

Thank you for your help Tony this solved my issue. Still learning and sorry if I hijacked your thread tampatech24 :wink:

First off, I love you guys. The sysadmin thing fixed itself. I might send you an edible arrangement, if you’ll accept it.

Sc00by has the tone of the conversation correct - essentially, we’re wondering what’s the point of upgrading the OS so quickly when you have a great, stable OS to play with. An alternative point, I’m sure we can all agree we’ve become a little lazy since we’re playing with such a smooth, seamless stack like Distro. Big up to Schmooze for making us whiny, angry babies in the process. Haha!

I will say, there are three wrenches in the culture of FreePBX:

1. We’re (yes, I speak for everybody) all used to upgrading FreePBX modules with the spirit of a drunk person in Key West: three sheets to the wind. Mostly because of the helpful nagging on the status screen. It’s addictingly easy, until something (like this) breaks. Tony to the rescue.
  2. The backup/restore process seems simpler (from the interface) than it actually is. It lures you in with its sense of simplicity. The truth is, version compatibility issues with backup/restore is something that can only be taken seriously after you’ve experienced a failure, and then it’s a shot in the dark because of the speed of release.
  3. Because it’s a stack (and a damned great one at that) a new release with an upgraded OS, etc should be considered based on the direction the “community” is leaning, not just Schmooze. I personally use custom scripts for an Outbound IVR module AND FOP2, but PCI cards, USB gateways, IVR text-to-speech engines, etc. all have to play catch up with Schmooze when you decide to release.

These are just a few thoughts, small problems I think could be fixed to turn a great/legendary stack into something even more legendary. I just though I’d share.

Thanks again for your help!
EB

Don’t know if this will work for anyone else, but…

Since I have four servers that are exactly the same hardware/bios, I run:

1. CentOS 5.7 FreePBX 2.10 & Asterisk 1.8 production system
  2. CentOS 6.3 FreePBX 2.11 & Asterisk 11 test system
  3. CentOS 6.4 FreePBX 2.11 & Asterisk 11 test system SIP trunking
  4. CentOS 6.4 FreePBX 2.11 & Asterisk 11 test system h.323 trunking

I was able to upgrade all of the servers to the latest sysadmin module using the instructions in the thread above, except for the CentOS 6.3 server. I found I had to erase the sysadmin module and the yum-kmod module, then re-install them yum-kmod first, then sysadmin. When I went back to FreePBX and installed the sysadmin module there, I had an error pop up saying it couldn’t find the current version of sysadmin, but then it continued and installed properly. Thought I would post in case anyone was still having difficulty and wanted to try it.

You must do this instruccions to resolve it :wink:

#####################################################################
-------- ARREGLAR FALLO AL ACTUALIZAR EL SYSADMIN DE FREEPBX --------
#####################################################################

rpm -Uvh http://yum.schmoozecom.net/schmooze-commercial/5/i386/RPMS/sysadmin/sysadmin-2.6.1-156_centos5.noarch.rpm

yum update sysadmin
yum update sysadmin
amportal a ma -f install sysadmin

/var/lib/asterisk/bin/module_admin showupgrades
/var/lib/asterisk/bin/module_admin upgrade sysadmin
amportal a r
service httpd restart

cp /etc/httpd/conf.d/schmoozecom.conf /etc/httpd/conf.d/schmoozecom.bak

I think you have repeated entries in your schmoozecom.conf file. I’ve noticed sometimes that happens you have to manually repair it. Go to etc/httpd/conf.d/schmoozecom.conf and edit the file. I’d delete everything and add:
Listen 80
<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot /var/www/html/

Then restart the httpd service. This should get you back into the GUI.

service httpd restart

Tony,

I am late getting to this thread, but I knew of the issues previously of attempting to update FPBX to 2.11 on a Centos 5.8 system. I ran yum update and found you had already added the sysadmin 2.6.1-158 rpm update to the repos for future support in updating. Thank you.

I did read this thread through and I do have a slight concern, and I do not want it to sound like a complaint or a rant or a rave.

As you would know better than any of us how many people are actively using the FreePBX distro built systems and how many people have customers who use these systems which will have been installed and set up, and will remain this way for the duration of the customer’s contract / until the system dies (hopefully will be replaced with a contract renewal). If a system was installed two years ago and the latest and greatest version available from the FPBX distro was Centos 6.4 with FPBX 2.11 and Asterisk 11.7.0 (as we currently are on). Now fast forward to current day 3 years from now and Centos 7 is now the new standard and there is no safe way to update from 6 to 7. These systems were installed and set up using the FreePBX distro, which you always ask if it is or not to determine whether it is “non-standard” or something along those lines. My rather daunting concern is that when that time comes, will you still release the necessary RPMS for customers who still use Centos 6 as that is what was installed at that point in time when it was new, or will you simply stop supporting a configuration which was “standard” and now call “non-standard”? Or will you simply break the ability to update to FreePBX 2.12, 2.13, etc until a new install with the latest FreePBX distro is installed on Centos 7, 8, etc?

Best,

Jon Caum
Xpedeus

First off there will never be a FreePBX 2.12 or 2.* we have jumped from that version to 12 and just 12. Secondly, CentOS themselves said that you could not upgrade from 5 to 6, they put the limitation into place not us, that said we do provide (paid) support services to bring a 5 machine up to 6, but it took Tony many hours to figure out and its a manual process which is why there are no scripts and why it must be a paid solution.

Moving from 6 to 7 will be at the discretion of CentOS and what they decide to do

What we will do is attempt to block the downloads of sysadmin to systems that can’t handle it.

In FreePBX 12 you will not be able to install or download it if you don’t have at least php 5.3.0

Andrew,

Thank you very much for the reply. My only concern was that when/if there was an update to CentOS and older systems may be unable to upgrade, would we not be able to install the necessary sysadmin or other FreePBX rpms to update. I think it is a great practice to disable the ability to upgrade beyond what a specific system should or feasibly can support given its environment (CentOS 5.8 and older PHP versions).

Again, I wasn’t upset and didn’t want to sound that way, I simply wanted to know what we can expect to have to do on our end in future updates.

Thanks again for the response.

Always a fan,

Jon

Thank you, I have tried different options and this one solve my sysadmin problem.