Symlink from modules failed on status screen after upgrade

feel free to put in a feature request and if you feel like it, modify the code as to what you think it should print out and include a patch.

You can see what it is currently linked to by simply doing an “ls -l” on the target directory and you will see the symlinks.

However, spelling out the conflict in the debug message obviously adds useful information right there.

Today I’ve upgraded Core to 2.8.0.1 and got another symlink error. I found that /etc/asterisk/sip_notify.conf was not linked to /var/www/html/admin/modules/core/etc/sip_notify.conf as it probably should be.

After upgrading today:
retrieve_conf failed to sym link:
/etc/asterisk/sip_notify.conf
This can result in FATAL failures to your PBX. If the target file exists and not identical, the symlink will not occur and you should rename the target file to allow the automatic sym link to occur and remove this error, unless this is an intentional customization.
Added 6 hours, 18 minutes ago
(retrieve_conf.SYMLINK)

Solution:
you need to do a shortcut to /var/www/html/admin/modules/endpointman/etc/sip_notify.conf

I do not have ‘endpointman’ in /var/www/html/admin/modules/ !

then remove your copy (or move it into sip_notify_custom.conf and press reload so it can symlink.

still getting symlink errors on 2.7.0.5 - any updates on this prob?

I had the same problem with retrieve_conf and found that if I disabled SetCallerID module the problem went away and i was able to do a reload.

/var/www/html/admin/modules/setcid/functions.inc.php its getting the error on line 130.

run /var/lib/asterisk/bin/retrieve_conf after adding the symlink as asterisk user in /etc/asterisk/

when this occurs with Dahdi, which file exactly should we delete?

The apparent cause of the sip_notify.conf symlink error is systems with older versions of the Endpoint Manager software. Download and install the latest release from:

Latest Endpoint Manager

and the problem should go away once you do the following while logged in as root:

cd /etc/asterisk
mv sip_notify.conf sip_notify.conf.old
/var/lib/asterisk/bin/retrieve_conf

Now reload FreePBX with your browser and click on the reload button when prompted.

[p_lindheimer] edited with the always most up-to-date link to what ever the latest endpoint manager is as the one over at the old project is usually lagging until it gets copied from the freepbx repos.

To fix the file error do the following
Open Putty
Connect to your machine IP
Login as root

Then type the following

cd …
cd etc/asterisk/
mv sip_notify.conf sip_notify1.conf
exit

Reboot the machine and it should link the file correctly thus removing the error.

Regards.
Yen

I have the same issue…

To use the dahdi modules config, which file do I delete exactly?

I got the same error:
/etc/asterisk/sip_notify.conf from core/etc

I did:
rename /etc/asterisk/sip_notify.conf
create symlink
Run
/var/lib/asterisk/bin/retrieve_conf --debug
restart Asterisk
core restart now
Error is gone

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 52 Dec 1 21:44 sip_notify.conf -> /var/www/html/admin/modules/core/etc/sip_notify.conf
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 646 Dec 1 21:41 sip_notify.conf.old

retrieve_conf failed to sym link:
/etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf from dahdiconfig/etc
This can result in FATAL failures to your PBX. If the target file exists and not identical, the symlink will not occur and you should rename the target file to allow the automatic sym link to occur and remove this error, unless this is an intentional customization.

that’s because the dahdi module provides it’s own dahdi.conf file which it configures.

if you already have a dahdi configuration that works, you don’t need the module. If you want to use the dahdi module, then you will have to remove your configuration file and let it do it for you.

I noticed on a box where I had not updated DAHDi config that I did not have the problem. On 3 boxes where I had I got teh nasty “retrieve_conf failed to sym link:
/etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf from dahdiconfig/etc
This can result in FATAL failures to your PBX. If the target file exists and not identical, the symlink will not occur and you should rename the target file to allow the automatic sym link to occur and remove this error, unless this is an intentional customization.”

All 2.9 loads from the FreePBX ISO. So I just disabled DAHDi Config in Modules and the problem went away.

if you do an “ls -l /etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi*” it’ll show you a link to
/var/www/html/admin/modules/dahdiconfig/etc/chan_dahdi.conf

rename that file (or delete it) and that’ll remove the error after a page refresh.
i didn’t need to ‘amportal restart’ or ‘apply configs’

Not the FreePBX Distro, but openSUSE 12.2 with Asterisk 10 and FreePBX 2.10. I also tested with Asterisk 11 and FreePBX 2.11 beta and got the same error. Both fresh installs, not upgrades. And I fresh installed them many times, all of them showing this behaviour.

Im my case, many files (not just one) were never copied to core/etc, so the symlinks were not created - including some important stuff like sip.conf.

I thought the install_amp script was supposed to do the trick, but looks like it didn’t. Am I supposed to manually create the symlinks by myself? Or am I doing something wrong?

I already made the copies/symlinks myself, but bugs me that FreePBX can’t handle it properly.