Strange 800 number dials to everyone

Hi all,

I have come up with a strange issue where if we dial 800 it automatically take everyone on the conference like the intercom pager and it engages everyone.

this is a real bad. thing.

Then as the doctor said, “Then don’t dial 800”.

But seriously, with that limited input , what output do you expect from anyone past my facetious one ?

1 Like

ok let me describe this in detail.

When someone dials 800 from his/her phone it goes to some intercom/pager or like it takes everyone on speaker and everyone can hear to eachother.

we have not configured any 800 number.

[ Included context 'bad-number' created by 'pbx_config' ]
  '_X.' =>          1. ResetCDR()                                 [pbx_config]
                    2. NoCDR()                                    [pbx_config]
                    3. Progress()                                 [pbx_config]
                    4. Wait(1)                                    [pbx_config]
                    5. Progress()                                 [pbx_config]
                    6. Playback(silence/1&cannot-complete-as-dialed&check-number-dial-again,noanswer) [pbx_config]
                    7. Wait(1)                                    [pbx_config]
                    8. Congestion(20)                             [pbx_config]
                    9. Hangup()                                   [pbx_config]

and there are no CDRs of this call also
now everyone things they have a call from 800 and when they dial out to 800 the loop starts again and everyone is playing now.

It affects everyone even the top management. which is weird.

asterisk -rx ‘dialplan show 800@from-internal’

Not understanding where you want calls to go if the extension dials 800 but you haven’t provisioned a route?

Why is anyone dialing 800 in the first place if that has no defined destination ?

This makes me think it’s a phone feature that does some sort of multicast page, nothing related to the pbx at all.

1 Like

yes actually someone accidentally dials it and now everyone tries that.

if this is the multicast page, I can not find this in the pager module not in the feature code so that I can disable it, even I tried creating an extension 800 but still it goes to multicast pager.

there must be a way to disable it.

The Cisco IP Phone 7800 and 8800 Series Multiplatform Phones provide voice communication over an Internet Protocol (IP) network. You can configure multicast paging so that users can page all the phones on the network at once, or page a group of phones without involving a server. In multicast paging, the phones are programmed to listen to a broadcast address.

Let lemmings be lemmings :wink: , If it is phone specific, it won’t be apparent in any part of FreePBX

can we stop this from the dialplan ? or anyway that we can stop this.

1 Like

Not if it is a ‘phone specific thing’

so, you gives up…

Now what should I do?

Get your users to stop dialing 800 maybe?

1 Like

Surely you can configure the phones to disable this feature, or at least set a feature code that won’t be dialed accidentally.

1 Like

Have you identified where you phones send calls to 800 to yet ? (Apparently not Asterisk/FreePBX)

yes. It was a multicast pager provided by default by the Cisco for 7800 and 8800 Series Phones.

Keep in mind this option only available in Cisco MPP (3PCC) firmware.

you can disable it on the phone level as this involves phone to phone calling.

no pbx is involved in this type of calling.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.