Staff complaining they can't dial fast enough

If you are not that great with command line, like myself. You can download a free windows program called WinSCP.

You can set it up to connect using the SFTP protocol and you can browse to the TFTP server folder.

From the Root folder, you will notice a folder called tftpboot. Inside tftpboot you should, if configured correctly, you should have your ringtones for your phones, the cisco loads, config files created by endpoint manager and you should see dialplan.xml. If dialplan.xml does not exist, create it with the following permissions (0755) Group = Asterisk, Owner = Asterisk and insert this information into the ringplan.xml

<DIALTEMPLATE>
<TEMPLATE MATCH="*" Timeout="5"/> <!-- Anything else -->
<TEMPLATE MATCH="0" Timeout="1" User="Phone"/>
<!--  Local operator -->
<TEMPLATE MATCH="011*" Timeout="6" User="Phone"/>
<!--  International calls -->
<TEMPLATE MATCH="9,0" Timeout="8" User="Phone"/>
<!--  PSTN Operator -->
<TEMPLATE MATCH="911" Timeout="0" User="Phone" Route="Emergency" Rewrite="911"/>
<TEMPLATE MATCH="911" Timeout="0" User="Phone"/>
<!--  Service numbers  -->
<TEMPLATE MATCH="9,1.........." Timeout="0" User="Phone"/>
<!--  Long Distance  -->
<TEMPLATE MATCH="9,......." Timeout="0" User="Phone"/>
<!--  Local numbers  -->
<TEMPLATE MATCH="304,......." Timeout="2" User="Phone"/>
<!--  Corporate Dial plan -->
<TEMPLATE MATCH="2..." Timeout="0" User="Phone"/>
<TEMPLATE MATCH="3..." Timeout="0" User="Phone"/>
<TEMPLATE MATCH="*" Timeout="5"/>
<!--  Anything else  -->
</DIALTEMPLATE>

Where you see the 304, enter in your local area code.

Dial plans are fairly simple to change around and add information too, what it does with the Cisco phones it give it an idea on how to handle certain strings entered into the phone. The timeouts do exactly that, if it does not see you complete the amount of digits defined, it will timeout and dial anyway.

I don’t really think you need to go anymore than 5 seconds on a time out, or it seems like forever before the phone will make the call. 5 seconds is probably plenty long enough.

I may have been wrong in saying that OSS endpoint manager messes with the config files, but I do know you have to have the dialplan.xml in place for most, if not all Cisco phones.

Take some time and read up on Cisco Dial Plans, it will explain a lot to you, more than I can explain. I can give you some basics, but that is about it.

<TEMPLATE MATCH="*" Timeout="5"/> <!-- Anything else --> 

As it says, this will match any phone number, any dialled area code, any length.

<TEMPLATE MATCH="304,......." Timeout="2" User="Phone"/> 

I use this for local phone numbers, 304 is the area code followed by a comma 304, the dots behind the comma 304,… indicates the amount of numbers behind the area code 304,3435555 which will timeout in 2 seconds after being dialed.

You will need dial plans for 911, extensions and so forth.

<TEMPLATE MATCH="911" Timeout="0" User="Phone" Route="Emergency" Rewrite="911"/>

Simple 911 dial plan.

<TEMPLATE MATCH="3..." Timeout="0" User="Phone"/>

Simple extension dial plan.

Hope this was of some help to you… I am sure there is many people around here that can show you a better format than I. Please do research and look around for them, it will make it easier on you.

Ohh, once you have the dial plan in place, you will need to reboot your phones, provided you have them looking at your tftp server, they will request the files and pull them. Rebooting Cisco 7960 press * 6 and the settings button at the same time.