{Solved} NEC Express5800/120Eg instalation "hanging up"

Hi guys,
i’ve been using FreePBX in a past few months on my PC (Dualcore, 2GB RAM), as a virtual machine in VmWare.
Now i got a writeoff server Express5800/120Eg, which had two 2.8GHz Xeon processors inside (Had, as it now has only one. Seems the other one got legs. But the system still runs good), 8MB video RAM, 4GB RAM by itself, and GB Ethernet.
What was my best bet on this box was the SCSI RAID i could utilise, with array of 4 75GB hard drives in Raid 1 (two logical drives).

So i went off and downloaded both the x386 and “X32 and X64” versions (6.12.65), burnt them to DVD and went ahead to install them. On both, i get to the packages instalation page, where it stops on package called “freepbx-12.0.2-1.shmz65.1.16.noarch” (89mb) - FreePBX Web Interface (67%, 534th of 624 packages)
(I’m new user, so unfortunately i can’t smack up either a picture or a link to it. Sorry, you’ll have to live with description.)

I’ve let it do the instalation for hour and half, and finally gave up. Does anybody have idea, what could possibily go wrong? I’m currently not at home, but if somebody gives me a location to peak into, i will try to boot from other live linux distro to find logfiles…

In my experience, the install always slows at that point and seems to hang. I have seen delays anywhere from 20 minutes to 1-1/2 hours. When we were on a T1 internet connection, I would always see long delays ( 1 plus hours). Recently, we were able to have broadband installed and now, installs are much faster. I wonder if it just needs a little more time? Is your internet connection a little slow? Or is there a bandwidth monitor that may be limiting the ability to download needed files?

Anyway, just some ideas.

Hi,
I don’t really know about delays. I’m on 2M/0.384M clean connection, which is maximum what they can send through copper twisted pair (although i have my own very different opinions about this).

Point is, this package is only 89MB, and yet it takes far longer than others that were much larger (100+MB, just don’t remember which ones)…

I’ll give it a second try this weekend… At which point should i give up?

Unimportant: Sure, i could leave the computer on overnight, but i highly doubt it’d make any difference. Plus, the fan is very noisy. :slight_smile: (Info: that box itself weights over 20Kg. So i’d like to make installation before i move it anywhere (upstairs/downstairs/))*

From my (very limited) experience, and based on your available bandwidth, it just needs more time. My guess is that what is actually happening with the install (download, install, etc) is slightly different than what is actually reflected in the Distro Install GUI. Perhaps it is downloading other files which are much larger, which is not reflected in the Distro Install GUI for the next package, or something of that sort. I would give it a couple of hours, I’ll bet it will eventually finish.

Well, it seems that something was wrong with the DVD. I have arrived home yesterday and it was working on instalation form 7pm untill today 8am, stuck at same packet. I’ve redownloaded the PFBX and burnt it to DVD (this time, on my laptop), inserted, and after an hour and half, the thing is up…

Something stinks about my PC DVD burner…

From my (very limited) experience, and based on your available bandwidth, it just needs more time. My guess is that what is actually happening with the install (download, install, etc) is slightly different than what is actually reflected in the Distro Install GUI. Perhaps it is downloading other files which are much larger, which is not reflected in the Distro Install GUI for the next package, or something of that sort. I would give it a couple of hours, I’ll bet it will eventually finish.