SIP Trunk: Incoming Settings

Can someone enlighten me what is the purpose of the Incoming Settings section in the trunk definition ? Any usage examples ? I simply can not think of a situation where putting anything into this section would make sense.

Trunk…Incoming Settings? Don’t see that in my system.

BF

I meant SIP trunk.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried to be as polite as I could, but I my patience is about to run out. I actually had to walk away from the keyboard for a while to refrain from posting a much more accurate reply than this post.

thanks for your patience mike and all the feedback.

to give you some more background check this gem:

http://www.fonality.com/trixbox/node/52642

obelisk, I don’t read the lime green forums anymore.

I was hoping you would make an exception this time. :wink:
What I was trying to show you is how confusing the current design is so you do not have to take my word for it.
I also would like you to respons to Scott’s recent comment where he was trying to debunk your theory about the requirement for the incoming section.

Well obelisk, to be true here, your post is the very first post I have ever read about confusing trunk settings. And I have read many posts, believe me.

And no, I won’t make any exceptions reading lime green forum, not even for you:-)

I guess that you made your point, let’s stop here and go on to more important things, me fixing things with FreePBX, you learning how to set up a trunk (sorry, could not resist) :slight_smile:

Oh, BTW, you need to leave feedback on your ticket over at issues.asterisk.org

When using a registration, one has to painstakingly define the registration string the way asterisk expects it and, in 99% cases, re-enter the same info(username/password/hostname) already present elsewhere. It should be a simple checkbox by default - yeah/nay, please register my trunk. KISS.

Anyway, this was meant to be a side note. I still expect someone to come forward with a good usage case for the “Incoming Settings” section.

Sorry, you lost me. As Asterisk is the engine we use, if Asterisk wants to have it as a string, well, then there is not much we can do.

What do you mean by “re-enter the same info(username/password/hostname) already present elsewhere”? Where is this information “elsewhere”?

Incoming is used by some versions of Asterisk, and as we support Asterisk 1.2 - 1.8 it must be there. As of FreePBX 2.10 we would remove support for Asterisk 1.2 and some settings used in that version will be removed.

I have to admint Obelisk is bating you a bit Mikael, however this statement doesn’t make any sense as all it does is create another peer, it’s not an engine dependent thing.

Obelisk is a bit of a what we call in the states a “Rable Rouser” however I think I know what he is saying:

Make common settings boxes like in extensions and prefill them IE: CODEC’s, permit/deny etc. Add a host field

Add Username and Secret field. This is the info that could populate the reg string if needed.

Lastly a field “adder” a la SIP settings that lets you add custom variables, I have been after this in extensions for awhile.

I think this is what Obelisk is after. Personally, I don’t find the trunks difficult at all and have many other items on my wish list.

I took it to mean that you would fill that part in if you were being a “SIP Trunk Provider” and having a client connect to it.

I’ve left the section blank on all my SIP trunks and everything appears to work just fine.

Here is what I was told by Andrew why it was called “incoming settings”

FreePBX started life as AMPORTAL “Asterisk Management Portal”. The thinking was you may have two different hosts for inbound and outbound. For instance Broadvox does this.

The incoming is just a label. It creates two peers. The only key is that FreePBX only creates an outbound entry that can be used as a destination from the peer in the outbound settings.

I agree, it is now an intuitive process and the labeling does not make it better.

Productive suggestions for labels and or updated tool tips would be greatly appreciated.

Productive suggestions for labels and or updated tool tips would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I tried http://www.freepbx.org/trac/ticket/5104

The default trunk setup page should only have one section.
Even if you need to have 2 different hosts w/your trunk you can do it via the outboundproxy directive.

The amount of confusion the two sections have created in minds of FreePBX users is probably unmeasurable at this point.

Still, if anyone has a trunk setup that requires both sections I would like to see it.
I might have a bridge in very good condition for sale which you might be interested in.

On a related note I would like FreePBX to stop forcing users to define the registration string. In most cases it can be deduced from the trunk definition.

?? We don’t force to use the registration string in trunk

I agree, none of my trunks use a registration string and the page submits fine without it.

I fail to see where it’s being forced.

Not unless they want to have their trunks registered. :wink:

What was always puzzling me is the amount of info I have to enter into FreePBX vs. hard/soft phone.
It should be possible to have a working trunk by setting hostname, username and secret.
FreePBX should define all the mundane details required by asterisk and not have me type/select redundant information required by the underlying engine.

obelisk, what do you mean?

If one needs to register their trunk, yes, then the register string needs to be entered.

That is not “stop forcing users to define registration string”.

Please be more specific, because you don’t make sense at all??

bump