Shorten default ring time in night mode

Does anyone know of a way to shorten the length of the default ring time while in night mode. I would like to have the ring time long during the day to give people a chance to answer the phone. At night I would like the ring times short so the caller would not need to wait for a long time when nobody is here anyway. I realize that I can probably do this with ring groups and adjust the ring time on the different ring groups but I was hoping to just make the default ring time short at night and long during the day. If anyone has done this, I would love to hear how you did it.

Simply use two different ring groups. The day one should have the regular ring time. The night one should have an extended ring time. You can change the ring time from the ring group settings. Ring times are calculated in seconds. 5 seconds = 1 ring

I thought about using ring groups but what happens to the ring time when a caller dials by name in the company directory or punches in an extention directly? Doesn’t this send the caller directly to the extention and bypass the ring groups therefore using the original default ring time? I don’t think dialing a person’s extension directly sends the caller to a ring group with either a shorter or longer ring time.