Setting up SMS with Flowroute

We’ve recently enabled some SMS targeted ads, and already people are using it. The thing is, I’m running them through Google Voice right now, and I’d prefer to have it go through FreePBX so I’m not reliant on yet another system, and so I have a little more flexibility in how I want it to behave (as well as the phone number used).

I can’t really find a solid guide on how to do all of this. Flowroute has some instructions, but they leave me hanging at finding an “SMS Callback” (which I don’t know how to find in FreePBX) https://blog.flowroute.com/2016/09/22/receive-an-inbound-message/

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Did you ever figure this out? I’m in the same boat and need to figure out SMS (and ideally MMS) using Flowroute and FreePBX. Thanks!

The document describes SMS delivery outside of the telephony side of the system. You would have to open a web server and do web CGI scripting. That might be, and probably should be, on a completely separate machine, e.g. one on which you provide your public web pages.

They may offer other options, but that is the one in the document.

I use textable for texting with flowroute. I only use it as commuication with customers not for advertisement, password recovery, etc, those you have to register 10DLC with them

That is incorrect. With the new requirements that is considered 10DLC and I bet come April 1st it will stop working.

It will continue to work, just at excessive fees from the carriers.

Well the messaging we are getting from Syniverse who is the gateway provider that everyone uses to send messages to mobile numbers is all SMS without a campaign will be blocked starting April 1st. That is direct from them. Not sure how flowroute would avoid that blockage.

Most providers have an email to sms gateway. For example [email protected], reliably finding the current provider for an arbitrary unknown caller, a different problem

it states that they can (& probably will) be blocked and also higher fees & fines.

Who states this. I am referring to Syniverse not FlowRoute. Syniverse is who FlowRoute uses just like everyone else and they are stating they will start blocking all non registered traffic April 1st is the notice they have sent all of their customers.

Sorry what? There is a single SMS gateway provider for the entire US telecommunications industry? Um, does the FTC know about this?! :laughing:

Yes, yes they do. Syniverse is the Direct Connection Aggregator for T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon. Any 10DLC traffic going to those networks has to go through Syniverse which will uphold each carriers rules. So far I haven’t seen anything with AT&T that shows blocking, just higher charges. But T-Mobile and Verizon seem to be going that route. Syniverse will also vet any campaigns registered to The Campaign Registry. Vetting isn’t new, I had to wait for AT&T and T-Mobile to approve campaigns when I’ve done them in the past.

Part of this is due to the fact that even with the new 10DLC regulations they have found fraudulent campaigns getting through and that is bad.

Bill

Yes in the US if you want to send a SMS to any of the main mobile carriers the ONLY option is through Syniverse. They are the only provider today that has the connection to the carriers. Every SIP provider including Twillio routes every SMS for all the wireless carriers through Syniverse.

It really sounds like a good education series is needed on how SMS in the country works and how things route and how 10DLC plays a role in this ever changing landscape.

I know both Inteliquent and Bandwidth, the two largest SIP carriers in the US are working toward direct pipes to the 4 major wireless carriers for SMS but its been years in the works and not moving at any real pace.

My perception is that things are changing so fast that only those who live and breathe SMS are keeping up with it. PBX operators interacting in this forum are usually not in that group.

Whenever someone posts here about SMS there are a lot of “educational” follow-ups in the threads. I don’t know about a series but at least a good concise guide would be nice to point people to rather than re-educating every time. Not saying you and/or @BlazeStudios have to write it but you are the ones who seem to know.

Similar to how folks post thin questions here and someone follows up with the “How to provide great debug” guide, there could be a guide that gets mentioned when folks ask about how to implement SMS.

OK and what would go in this guide?

I’m not going to spell it out. You are the one who commented on this thread for example:

He didn’t ask about 10DLC registration but you felt it was important to educate him on it. So rather than have to put the same information every time an SMS thread pops up I’m suggesting write a wiki on it that people can reference. I’m not telling you what to do; you don’t have to do anything at all. But a wiki would be better than having to retype the answer on multiple threads.

OK, let me explain my logic here. Person makes posts about needing SMS integration with Flowroute while reinforcing, multiple times, that SMS is a non-negotiable must and it is 100% vital to business. Well, if the 10DLC isn’t done and there are changes coming down the pipe about 10DLC including unregistered numbers being blocked then the initial request is useless by itself.

It wouldn’t have matter if there was a module I could suggest. I would have suggested the module and still confirmed 10DLC because based on my vast experience in VoIP community, as you pointed out, people don’t follow the industry they make a living in. So as my logic train shows, X (module) will be useless without Y (10DLC).

Basically, I try not to miss the forest for the trees. Sometimes I do but I try hard to not.

We did a write-up which I think breaks it down to human speak. 10DLC Messaging Update - What You Need to Know | ClearlyIP and I would hope other carriers were informing their customers adequately. That said we have seen with stir shaken a lot of carriers take a forgiveness over permission model or better stated “You are free to test your assumption at your convenience. Don’t forget to document your findings for future reference.”

In any case If you are anything more than an end user these days the pain will only intensify. The FCC is doing everything to get rid of the fly by night shops and anyone who is not willing or able to walk their gauntlet.

So hat you are saying is all the businesses that use google voice as well or any other service have to register for this. If that is the case, how come google has not mentioned this.