Setting to make * not answer trunk until extension answers?

I am trying, on one inbound analog trunk,to allow the voicemail on the trunk take a message rather than the ivr in *. It was working that way until I upgraded FreePBX from 2.7 to 2.8. I have a feeling that there is some setting that got changed in the upgrade, but I have not made any changes other than upgrades for almost a year. The trunk is on a Digium 4 port analog card, if someone has an idea or needs more info, tell me what info to send and I will post it. I just don’t understand why it was working that way before the upgrade. I have not tried downgrading, and would prefer not to, but I will if that is the only solution. Thanks in advance for your help.

Robert Lewis

Just point the inbound for that trunk to voicemaim route to Voicemail…

Bill

I guess I didn’t explain the problem properly. I want the trunk to ring the internal phones, but asteriek to not actually pick up the trunk until the extension that the trunk is forwarded to actually answers, if no one picks up the extension I want the external (phone co for the trunk) to actually pick up and and take the message.

So you don’t want asterisk voicemail to be involved at all?

In that case, just don’t activate asterisk voicemail for the indicated extension.

BF

The problem is that when the switch “answers” the incoming trunk, the phone company voice mail never answers since it assumes that the trunk was answered, so the extension if not answered by a person just rings forever because there is no voicemail on the extension and the trunk was answered by the (*) switch not by the extension. Until I upgraded the software, if the extension was not answered, the switch never took the trunk off hook so the trunk would ring until the phone co voice mail would count the number of rings and answer. That is what I am trying to get back to.

rvl

I did not find a setting in the gui, but I traced through the extensions.conf chain and found that the context that was active was:

[ext-did-0002]

So, I edited

/etc/asterisk/extensions_custom.conf

And put in something like this:

[ext-did-0002]
exten => _[0-9a-z].,1,dial(777)
exten => h,1,Macro(hangupcall,)

(777 is the phone I want to ring when I get calls on my DID

If anyone knows a way to do this with the GUI, please post it here!

Mark