Set language on FreePBX 13

I would have to point out that if you:-

cat /etc/asterisk/sip.conf|head -5

you will see why FreePBX doesn’t modify that file as you suggest, the chosen “language” is specific to the used channel so should probably NOT be generalized if you want language flexibility on all endpoints and for voicemail to also work, but if you want to generalize do it in the *_custom*.conf files as appropriate.

You will also need to cover ALL your “technologies”, for iax2, dahdi et al. if you use them also, FreePBX does that with more granularity within the extensions, inbound routes and trunk level bits of it’s gui and downline via the generated “#include *_additional*.conf” files that asterisk will thusly use.

So things like “suoni nor צלילים” will never work but using ./sounds/{he,it} will (my first three posts) and the absence of the expected /en will likely fail (which surely was the reason for most of this thread) also in FreePBX and possibly Asterisk.

That is why I posted for both @claloano and @danielf request for clarification as to why you need /en. (my fourth post)

If you need multilanguage support on an IVR or such, than you will need a custom approach get/set’ing the ${channel(language)} variable as appropriate.

I assume @claloano has fixed his problem by appropriately creating all of ./sounds/{it,en} , so let’s move on.

Hi @dicko,

Thank you for your answer, but you are wrong and you should learn from other people’s experience.
Of couse you can move on, but I suggest you to read my post until its end.

In general, The Asterisk language is English and the language parameter is unimportant and should not be present. In the old Freepbx versions (including the Freepbx 12), the language parameter is added to the sip modules as a customized field. Of course you can add it to your IAX and DAHDI conf files if you need it.

As for the customization of languages per channel, it is possible to set another language in your channels (inbound routes for example) and that would bypass the general language parameter of the Asterisk.

As for you comment of the Linux shell language:

So things like “suoni nor צלילים” will never work but using
./sounds/{he,it} will (my first three posts) and the absence of the
expected /en will likely fail (which surely was the reason for most of
this thread) also in FreePBX and possibly Asterisk.

Yes, you are right.

By the way, @claloano fixed his problem according to my first post.

So, for conclusion, I have asked @tm1000 to check his language module to not set a general language parameter in the sip.conf file to avoid adding the en language to the customized settings in order to change the general language parameter of the Asterisk (like it used to be in the older Freepbx versions).

Thank you,

Daniel Friedman
Trixton LTD.

1 Like

I just got notified hat I got 50 hits to my post, how did it work out for your (some might see as a little arrogant) position with FreePBX?

Dude you really have to accept that you are not god and everything you say is ONLY your “opinion” and some (if not most) will probably disagree with you , the en bit is asterisk not FreePBX and hard-coded, without your compliance and understanding of that fact, you are effectively screwed :slight_smile:

Any way all the best in your endeavors, let’s see what our peers say.

I realize you might consider this confrontational, it is not. just pragmatic , you perhaps are dogmatic, no?

Hello @dicko,

You miss fhe point. I was right and you were wrong in this particular probelm. @claloano solved his problem according to my explanation.

My solution was correct to the specific version of the Freepbx that @claloano was using back then.

In the current version of the Freepbx there are no problems.

And let me finish with a personal note:
You should really stop writing abusibe posts like your last one in this forum.
Just accept that you were wrong in this specific problem (which was approved by @claloano in this post ) and move on.

Thank you,

Daniel Friedman
Trixton LTD

We are done here. Both @danielf and @dicko I’m asking you nicely to stop poking each other. You’ve both been abusive to each other and you both need to stop.

There was no reason to respark the flame on this thread nor was there any reason to respond.