Server randomly shutting down

Three times in the last 4 weeks my in-house FreePBX server has shutdown on it’s own. I’m trying to find the cause but not having any luck. The command last -x | grep shutdown | less didn’t show me anything. I checked my UPS log /var/log/apcupsd.events, it didn’t show anything either. Is there a log I can check to see what’s happening? I want to see if something is sending a shutdown command or if this is some kind of system failure.

Thanks,

That would generally be logged in /var/log/messages

I checked that log first but it didn’t show anything. I received the “offline” notice at 11:29am and turned it back on at 11:40am. The log doesn’t show anything until it’s turned back on.

Nov 30 02:19:54 localhost php: /sbin/iptables -D fpbxregistrations -s 10.0.0.1/32 -j fpbxknownreg
Nov 30 05:28:01 localhost auditd[1252]: Audit daemon rotating log files
Nov 30 11:40:47 localhost kernel: imklog 5.8.10, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
Nov 30 11:40:47 localhost rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="5.8.10" x-pid="1256" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] start
Nov 30 11:40:47 localhost kernel: Initializing cgroup subsys cpuset

Could the lack of a log entry indicate a hardware issue that is crashing the computer?

Quite likely, it would be quite a catastophic crash for the syslogd to not note a powerdown other likely segfault/oom/other likely event otherwise

Thanks, Dicko. I guess I’ll start looking into the hardware.