Server memory crash

I am currently using the latest version of FreePBX Distro and I am experiencing an issue on multiple, identical servers (with multiple clients) where the server software frequently crashes throughout the day and requires a hard reboot.

I have looked up this problem in the community and it seems to be related to a memory leak, the resolution being to upgrade/patch Asterisk.

I have two questions:

-How can I verify the crash is caused by a memory leak?
-If upgrading or patching Asterisk is the resolution, how do I successfully apply it for FreePBX Distro?

Thanks for any and all help.

What version of FreePBX Distro are you using ?
What version of asterisk are you using ?

As ggtest stated above, we would need more information that what was provided to really be able to assist you with your issues. However as for updating the distro, you can do so by using the FreePBX Distro upgrade scripts located at

Thanks. I’ve never seen the Schmooze download section before, very nice. Especially the standalone installations.

I noticed this was a prevalent issue, should installing one of the stable editions solve this?

Also I have two production systems I am willing to open up to any developer willing to troubleshoot. Let me know if that is something of interest.

After a backup/restore and a reinstall using the full iso of Stable-1.812.210.57(Release Date-05/04/12) I am still experiencing crashes on two production systems.

Which is annoying, but I’m going to leave my emotions out of it.

Any ideas?

What emotion and at what are you annoyed?

If you provide more information I am sure you will get some support from the community.

I’d say I’m feeling a little frustration, a little resentment, and a little apprehension. Detailed enough?


Any developer from FreePBX: tell me what specs and/or log reports you’d like to detail this problem so I can resolve it.

I typed the sentence wrong, I did not mean emotion.

I was trying to get at what you are frustrated, the software, perceived lack of support etc.

Starting with the basics. What kind of machine? Have you tried something else? What is in /var/log/messages at the time of crash?

I suggest you read this:

Please keep in mind this is an isolated problem. We have been stepping up our distro conversions. Below please see my busiest system. It processes 1000 calls an hour, 250 extensions and it runs on a dual core AMD with 2G of RAM and doesn’t even break a sweat. This also should show you the state of a stable machine.

PRI                                                 N             5060     Unmonitored
293 sip peers [Monitored: 244 online, 45 offline Unmonitored: 3 online, 1 offline]
[[email protected] ~]#
[[email protected] ~]# cat /etc/asterisk/freepbxdistro-version
[[email protected] ~]#
[[email protected] ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 104
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3000+
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 800.000
[[email protected] ~]# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:      1943708 kB
MemFree:        869864 kB
Buffers:        150840 kB
Cached:         614364 kB
[[email protected] ~]# cat /proc/vmstat
nr_anon_pages 57927
nr_mapped 7609
nr_file_pages 191314
nr_slab 16165
nr_page_table_pages 642
nr_dirty 235
nr_writeback 0
nr_unstable 0
nr_bounce 0
pgpgin 607007
pgpgout 6152863
pswpin 0
pswpout 0
pgalloc_dma 1
pgalloc_dma32 0
pgalloc_normal 213038
pgalloc_high 5484788
pgfree 5915781
chagrin-backup*CLI> cdr mysql status
Connected to asteriskcdrdb on socket file default using table cdr for 1 hours, 27 minutes, 27 seconds.
  Wrote 1066 records since last restart and 198 records since last reconnect.