SentryPeer module - testers wanted

:100: :+1:

Exactly what @lgaetz said. I’ll put together some sequence diagrams using Mermaid and commit to our repo. Visualising this may help.

The SentryPeer module would take the destination a device is calling and send it to the API on sentrypeer.com and say, “Have you seen this before?”. The API would say yes (200 OK) or no (404 Not Found). What the API is checking doesn’t matter. It’s just looking for a match in the database. It’s us humans that are applying meaning and context to that data. I also did a ClueCon Weekly on SentryPeer if you have time.

We have a few in the US. I’m adding more. Don’t forget, you can always run one yourself and build up data in your own city/state that is relevant to you. The node can either just save it locally and you query the local API, or you can select the contributor plan and use our main API after enabling the WebHook with OAuth2.

As a contributor, you’ll only have access to the data you submit (so you don’t poison things), but you’ll get all the fancy alerting and be able to watch data come in (or switch on debug/verbose mode on your own node).

I’d be very happy to help you do this and write it all up for others too.

@BlazeStudios @lgaetz Hopefully these diagrams will help:

Here’s the image if you don’t want to click through:

Let me know.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure this would work for me. As I stated previously, it is illegal for me to block domestic calls just because of possible cost or it could be a bad actor destination. So blocking a single call to a number SentryPeer thinks is bad is still a no-no for me. I can react to their activity if it starts to look suspicious, such as multiple CPS or other activity such as that but doing a dip on the number and then blocking it…can’t. The customer can decide what is blocked and what’s not but I can’t do it for them, not for domestic calls.

I mean, for individual PBX systems this might be a good solution but at the higher level of switching not sure how much value add this is (for me at least).

1 Like

Ah, I must have missed the illegal bit. What is that covered under in the US? In that case, you can still process the alerts SentryPeerHQ would generate on a match and I could expand the FreePBX module to offer options for what to do on the PBX side for a match. That’s on my roadmap anyway and the point of this whole thread :slight_smile:

Would ^^^ work?

Like being able to pick a destination/app to jump to in the dialplan. It’s all about early warning. The FreePBX module sends the originally dialled number, not the cleaned up one that gets sent to the carrier via the trunk/outbound route rules.

Thanks.

Telecom regulations.

You could do that, it would be nice to give more control to the PBX admin. However, in my case, I am not running FreePBX to facilitate providing voice services to my customer base.

There is a difference between being a PBX admin and a voice provider/carrier. Completely different sets of rules such as a PBX admin is free to block any calls they want from leaving their private system before going to the PSTN. As their provider to the PSTN, I have to allow domestic calls in the US to go through since the service includes “long distance”. I am free to respond to abuse of my network such as suspicious call patterns but blocking individual calls isn’t acceptable based on “it could be fraud”.

As I said, for individual PBXes this should be fine for helping them detect attempts but for what I do, I would find something that allows me to check against known bad actor IP spaces (like APIBAN) over a potential high cost destination.

1 Like

OK. I think I’ll need to read up on this more. Is this just for your state or US wide? Do you run FreePBX at all then?

Hmmm, very interesting. We don’t have these rules in the UK. As an ITSP, I can drop any call except to emergency services. Again, where can I read up on this?

We also save the IP addresses of attackers just like APIBAN. They only focus on those. We were just talking yesterday about some type of collab on a public leaderboard.

Gavin.

US wide, FCC regulations. You can find them on the FCC website, there’s quite a few. I run FreePBX at the customer site but very rarely, the majority of my customer base is UCaaS style services. Using FreePBX as the core of your voice provider services isn’t the right option.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.