(Seemingly) odd question, but a purpose

Good evening all.

First, please keep in mind I’ve only recently started to delve into what all Asterisk is capable of, and I am indeed impressed. We’re seriously exploring switching to this platform for quite a few locations, but I’ve got a question that may seem odd…

I want to be able to have a couple of asterisk systems at my data center cores, and have local sites register a trunk with me. I also want to be able to route DIDs to them, but still have the DID’s original DNIS make it to the far-end system.

So far, what I’ve done is create a dedicated asterisk extension for a remote site at my data center and point a DID to it. At the remote site, I built a trunk and had it register as that extension to the data center system.

I then call the DID. It reaches the far end, but it always identifies as the registered user extension, not the originally dialed DID.

Any way I can have the DID reach the far end intact?

I want to have the remote system register to the centralized systems as a single “extension” but have dozens of DIDs routed to the remote site, and still be able to use incoming routing at the remote site to make routing decisions.

Is this possible? Keep in mind, I’m still using the GUI for about as much as I can because I’m just not comfortable tinkering with files just yet. I’ve done it in a pinch, and I do it when I make dedicated Conference Bridge boxes, but this is much more at this point, and I’m not sure I’d be comfortable tinkering at the file level, as I don’t fully understand the command syntax yet.

Thx.

You REALLY need to read the wiki, to preserve that info use the context from-local when connecting “friendly” asterii boxes, just as documented there in that same wiki.