Saving recording to a remote folder (NFS Share)

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has setup a FreePBX distro installation with the recordings being on a remote NFS Share. Are there any implications? Is it a good idea to do that?

Our system has around 60-70 concurent calls so there will be alot of NFS reading / writting.

Regads,
esarant

Hello,

I am doing that all the time. It is better that the NFS share would be with as much as possible
low latency for better performance.

Where do you want to locate your NFS server?

Thank you,

Daniel Friedman
Trixton LTD.

I have seen problems with “stale file handles” with nfs shares. Personally I use sshfs instead.
I also suggest you impliment in asterisk.conf

; Cache record() files in another directory until completion
cache_record_files = yes | no
record_cache_dir =

Hi @dicko,

This is an interesting point. Can you elaborate on it a little bit?

Thank you,

Daniel Friedman
Trixton LTD.

I’m not sure how to elaborate, it just helps use remote astspooldir’s more efficiently and robustly

if clustering/HAing I use glusterfs .

We actually have bought FreePBX HA.

We had a case where the FreePBX HA thought asterisk was down and tried to restart it resulting in asterisk crashing and node b to taking over the cluster. I think it was our NFS share was that made that problem and stalled asterisk to the point it did not respond to FreePBX HA services. Now we save our recording locally and move them when needed. The FreePBX server and the “recordings” server are linked with a Cisco Catalyst 10/100 switch (old model - can’t remember which)

@dicko
So in our situation, if we want to use NFS again you suggest trying cache_record_files option? Both node A and node B have a NFS share to the “recordings” server.

Thanks
Ilias Sarantoglou

Personally I wouldn’t use nfs but Always cache your recordings . It depends how you did your HA but i find glusterfs superior to drbd in every way.

Hello,

So, If I understood correctly, this parameter will save the temporarily recordings until it will gain access to the NFS share?
It really sounds as a good backup for NFS networking problems.

Thank you,

Daniel Friedman
Trixton LTD.

That is the intention , but a flapping nfs mount will sooner or later leave you with that stale file message in which case a reboot is the only safe and practical recourse.

Well, FreePBX as stated at the documentation uses DRDB:

Free PBX High Availability (HA) is a commercially developed High Availability solution that has reworked the FreePBX platform to integrate DRDB, Cluster Manager, and Pacemaker

http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FPG/FreePBX+High+Availability

so, we can’t choose glusterfs.

Anyway, for the meantime, we will store the recording locally and then copy them over to the recordings server.

Regards,
Ilias Sarantoglou

I understand, but I don’t use FreePBX HA , I moved away from drbd some years ago.

For efficiency, I suggest that if you go “native” with your syncing, then you use rsync for that, again for efficiency and robustness. You would in fact then be using a delayed form of sshfs.