Sangoma Phones

Just wondering if someone could answer some questions around the Sangoma phones that were announced today.

Initially the phone looked similar to the Yealink models, which I know a lot of people have had great success with, however we struggled with the GUI LAG of the phone, and the ability to disable certain sections of the phone (text messages was one of these). Could anyone comment (from Sangoma i assume) around the GUI performance, and how customisable the phone is - can individual features be enabled and disabled on the phone.

Second question, what country tones does the phone support, or can you enter your own tones?

Third question - does the phone support 802.1x, and LLDP?

Thanks
David

First and foremost these phones have nothing and I mean nothing to do with Yealink.

As far as your question the GUI is plenty responsive but the GUI itself has a single login so you can not permission what the user can see in the GUI but in the end the GUI is not how you manage our phones. It fully managed in EPM and does not require you to buy EPM to use it with our phones.

Country Tones we support are listed here plus you can define any custom Tones to match any country. http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/PHON/Supported+Country+Tones

Yes we support 802.1x. As far as LDAP are you referring to LDDAP for a directory. If so we include support for no cost of all of our Phone Apps which include the Contact Manager in FreePBX which fully supports AD to manage the users and their contact information.

1 Like

For those who haven’t see the announcement: http://www.sangoma.com/products/phones/

Hi Tony

Thanks for the reply. My question was more around if there is a feature in the GUI we want hidden from users, can it be? Without seeing the GUI I’m not sure if this will be a requirement for us or not. To date most phones have had a whole lot of other features that we would never require, so to keep things simple we disable them.

No, I mean LLDP, essentially so the switch can assign the voice vlan to the phone.

Thanks
David

I also have a question: Do these phones have dual registry capabilities? We register them to one server and if that server goes down it automatically registers to a second server we have running as a backup ?

Yes they do and EPM is setup to allow in the template to define the second server IP Address and Port.

Let me verify 100% on LLDP. Sorry was reading in my phone and reply and read it as LDAP but I am 99% sure we fully support LLDP

OK so finally got back full details from engineering and Q/A on this. Yes we fully support 802.1X and LLDP.

Here are screenshots on what is supported. I am told we have tested with numerous setups and also we have a Beta Customer who is actually setting this up next week also for verification purposes across numerous different switches for interop testing.

1 Like

We received a phone today… and wonder if the following is possible:

• LLDP is enabled by default (these seems to be pretty standard with other manufactures)
  • It is possible to remove/hide options within the menu. For example, the features menu (or applications within it), remove text Message option, remove options from the Basic Setting (or move them to advanced), and likewise with Display

Cheers

No the menu can not be controlled or things moved around. In reality these phones you should rarely use the menu because they are all designed to be used with EPM and all the auto configuration in EPM. Anything you do in the GUI or LCD gets written over from config files like most other phones so every reboot will go back to things set in the phone config.

That’s disappointing… although from reading your post above - it was stated then… while I don’t disagree with the statement that it should be configured from the end point manager, if the option gives no value, it shouldn’t be presented.

Any plans to enhance this aspect of the phone? without it - its back to Polycom for our deployment (as i need phones that are idiot proof, and only present features relevant to the user).

And LLDP?

Thanks

Why would you want your users in the GUI of the phone. That is just foolish and asking for problems. This is the whole point to EPM and central management. If you let users change things then you are always working from a unkown setup. I do not understand.

As far as LLDP its fully supported and you stated yourself it was enabled. Not sure why your LLDP ?

Sounds like you want the ‘Menu’ button removed totally, to me.

Why would you want your users in the GUI of the phone. That is just foolish and asking for problems. This is the whole point to EPM and central management. If you let users change things then you are always working from a unkown setup. I do not understand.

Your right - I really don’t want them in the menu of the phone. Human nature is however if I deploy a few hundred end points, there will be a percentage of people that will ‘go looking’ through the menus and possibly make some changes, and yes, that’s is the issue I am trying to avoid by removing or locking down features - so people can’t break things, get unexpected error message, or try and use features that are not in use.

As far as LLDP its fully supported and you stated yourself it was enabled. Not sure why your LLDP ?

By default LLDP is disabled on the phone (sorry wrongly stated as disabled in original post), where this is typically enabled by default.

We use LLDP to assign the voice vlan to the phone, so in our environment, take a phone out of the box, connect to network, LLDP will assign the voice vlan, DHCP within that environment will provide the provisioning server details, and we are away.

Sounds like you want the ‘Menu’ button removed totally, to me.

I think you are probably right. Although would like people to have access to call history and the likes of. As an example, I only want to present one way to enable DND on the phone - which ideally would be via the Phone App - currently there is a soft button on the phone (can be disabled) and within the menu structure another option. This is repeated for a few of the phone functions.

The ultimate solution is to hide all of this… keeping it simple for the users, and ensuring a consistent experience.

Ok so what if we made it so you could disable the menu hard code button as the menu Horizontal softkey you can already remove in EPM.

As far as LLDP being enabled by default we already changed that in firmware 2.0.4.7 http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/PHON/Firmware+Release+Notes

As far as LLDP being enabled by default we already changed that in firmware 2.0.4.7 Sangoma Documentation

Good news - Thanks. I’m positive that 2.0.4.7 wasn’t displayed yesterday, as I did look at that page for anything LLDP related.

My next question is, when will phones ship with that firmware by default?

Ok so what if we made it so you could disable the menu hard code button as the menu Horizontal softkey you can already remove in EPM.

At this stage I think that would work. Initial thoughts are that it would be nice to still have access to Status|Information (to assist with troubleshooting). Would an option be to password protect the enter menu - similar to what happens when you go Settings|Advanced Settings?. Not for the purpose of making changes directly to an end point, but to allow an admin to interrogate the phone, directly from the phone.

All phones auto update on first boot if they have internet access. The firmware that they ship with will be updated as soon as they turn on.

@xrobau is correct they will attempt to upgrade from our redirect server but the issue with LLDP is when it upgrades the firmware it will not just go enable that feature. It will only enable LLDP if its first install of the firmware 2.0.4.7 or greater.

@unison our next batch of phones coming from the factory in May will have this enabled by default. There is very limited quantities left with any of our suppliers of the first shipment so any phones you order starting in May should have the updated LLDP factory on setting.

If you want you can upgrade your phones to 2.0.4.7 then do a factory reset and you will see LLDP is now enabled.

Let me see if we can allow the menu button in EPM to be disabled. You can still get to the network and MAC information by pressing the center check mark icon twice on your phone.

1 Like

Hi Tony

Sorry to drag up an old post. With the retesting of the Sangoma phones, the old question has risen again…

Is it possible to disable the menu button… Basically as previously described, I want to remove access to everything a user can possibly ‘play’ with…

Also, with our testing on the Digium handsets, when we configure a button for say the Queue Agent app, when the user is logged in to a queue, the BLF light for the button is lit; this doesnt appear to work on the Sangoma phone - is that by design, or do I have something wrong in my config?

Lastly, and I assume this isnt possible, as it hasnt been done, but can the labels be made larger? At the current size they seem to support around 5 char of text…

Thanks

1- You can not disable the Menu button at this time but you can require it to have a password. You can enable this through base file edit of the following options.
P8630
EPM Default Value: 0
Description: Phone Lock.Keypad Lock.0 - Disabled, 1 - All Keys, 2 - Menu Key 3 - Function Keys, 4 - Answer All Only
P5730
EPM Default Value:
Description: Phone Lock.Phone Unlock Pin(0~15digial)
P5731
EPM Default Value:
Description: Phone Lock.Auto Lock Time-Out(0~3600s)

1. This tells me that the Daemon is not running. Please see this wiki. http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/PHON/Phone+Apps+FAQ

2. You can do 2 different things here. 1 you can control the Font size from small, med or large. http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/PHON/LCD+Font+Size Secondly you can enable ling scrolling http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/PHON/Label+Scrolling

Please make sure you have the latest EPM and Phone apps installed also.