Same Extension on Multiple Phones

There is a paid module that addresses this use case very nicely:

1 Like

Solving a Voice Mail problem by using the same extension on multiple phones is like using a hammer to drive a screw. You can do it, and it will probably work, but there are better tools. The VM Notify tool handles this, as would setting all of the extensions to use the same voicemail box. Of course, there are limitations in the other solutions - the shared VMB has the same problem as the shared extension. If you get two people on the voice mail at the same time, they could both be grabbing the same e-mails at the same time, which is actually the problem you are trying to solve.

Another option would be to have someone “broker” the calls and send them to specific extensions using the features of Comedian Mail. This way, each agent gets “their own” calls; working out the process for farming the messages out might be a little challenging, but it’s worth a look. With five agents, the paid solution is probably the best one.

And what’s wrong with using a hammer to drive a screw? I mean jeez…you just need to select the correct hammer. And yes, I can see two people retrieving the same message simultaneously. I don’t see it happening often in this particular case, but yes, it could happen. VM Notify looks interesting. My read, however, is that it will call all the agents until someone takes it. All I want is for a message indication on the phones. The messages will come in overnight since agents are in the office during the work day and calls get sent to a ring group. Brokering calls may or may not work, since what if that person isn’t in on any given day?

The shared voicemail box sounds like a reasonably workable solution then.

You can set up the extensions with different numbers. After they are set up, you can go into the extension configuration and change the mailbox identifier to the mailbox for the “first” or “last” extension. The extension number doesn’t matter, just pick one and go for it.

It’s easy to set up, and you can try it for a while before you decide if the commercial module is what you need.

So is multiple phones on one extension only possible with PJSIP, not chan_sip?
On v13 and can’t find the “contacts” field on my extension (which is chan_sip).
Thanks.

Only a feature of PJSIP.

Ok. Ty Lorne.
I did try setting up a phone w/ pjsip - did not work for whatever reason, probably misconfigured something on phone. Is there anywhere you can point me with some instructions (newbie friendly would be best)?
I think I have the FreePBX side of things right though I’d want to verify. It’s the phone I think I need most. Currently Aastra 6731’s.

Any help/pointers in the right direction much appreciated.
Thanks.

PJSIP Wiki: https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FPG/Extensions+Module+-+PJSIP+Extension

You have to set the max contacts to greater than 1 (however many endpoints you plan to have). When done correctly, you will reference the extensions with a “-#” suffix.

Example: If you had extension 3000 setup with 2 max contacts your would refer to each extension uniquely: 3000-1 and 3000-2.

If I have max contacts set to 4, does that mean in each device I have to specify the ext # as

3000-1

3000-2

3000-3

3000-4

For example: In my Cisco SPA, user: I used to put 3000. Now do I put 3000-1 ?

I don’t think so. Extension 3000 should be fine.

When you register it manually you just enter 3000, if you use Endpoint Manager you’ll see 3000-1 etc.

I use EPM with the latest distro. After I put Max Contacts at 2 for a PJSIP extension, in EPM, section Extension Mapping, I don’t the the IP Address Status anymore for this 2 Endpoints whereas they are well registred. Any idea ? A display bug or limitation ?

The latter. EPM can’t display individual ips for multiple contact.