Routing specific outbound call to extension instead of trunk

I want to prevent extensions from calling numbers that exist on the phone system and thus using up two SIP trunk channels where none are needed.

For instance, I have a conference bridge DID that OUTSIDE callers are supposed to use, and INTERNAL callers should be calling the conference bridge extension. Instead, they are calling the DID and using up multiple trunk channels.

Is there a way to reroute that specific DID to the conference bridge extension instead of the trunk?

I’ve looked through the forums and can’t find anything on this, but I could have missed something.

Thanks for any ideas.

Check out “loopback routes”.

I can’t help you more than that, though. It’s also at the top of my research list, but paying work is kind of getting in the way.

1 Like

If you are only talking about a few DIDs, just create a Misc Appliation for each and point them to the desired internal destination.

A loopback trunk will work too, essentially you create a trunk of type custom, with a dial string of:

local/$OUTNUM$@from-trunk

Then create an outbound route will all the dial patterns you want to loop back and point them to this trunk.

2 Likes

Hi!

This is what a loopback route and loopback trunk look like in FreePBX (in this case, FreePBX 13). Please note that I have only done captures of the screens which have non-default values.

Outbound loopback trunk

Note: I used ext-did as context, it’s included by from-trunk and does essentially the same thing in this case.

Outbound loopback route

As you can see, the loopback route sends all of the calls to the loopback trunk.

Here you put all the DIDs you want to route back to your PBX when someone calls them from the inside… In this example most of them are NANPA but one of them is an international number.

I hope it makes things clearer…

Good luck and have a nice day!

Nick

PS: The DIDs I put are of course all fake, I didn’t want to post the real ones… :wink:

2 Likes