Routing incoming calls out to cell phones/external numbers

I’m having problems when trying to route incoming calls out to a cell phone or external number when the receptionist is not in.

When an incoming call comes in the receptionist has no problems transferring the call to an external number by pressing transfer and dialling an external number. She also has no problems pressing transfer and dialling a Ring Group which contains external numbers, or dialling an extension with Call Following set to an external number.

But the problem arises when the IVR attempts to route the call to either a ring group or extension with call forwarding which contains an external number. After 3-4 rings, the IVR transfer fails and the user gets back to the IVR. The external number doesn’t ring.

In Follow-Me you can include an external number by suffixing a number with a pound (#). ex: 2448089# would dial 2448089 on the appropriate trunk. Not sure if the same rule applies to call forwarding.

Yes I have included a “#” at the end of the external number. I don’t understand why the reception can transfer a call to the ring group or extension with call forwarding without a problem, but when the IVR does it or using an inbound rule, it fails.

This might be one of those times when using a Miscellaneous Destination would help.

Set up the MiscDest so that it calls your outbound number, and then route the IVR to the MiscDest. You can throw is a trip through Set Caller ID if you have trouble with CID on your cell phone after the transfer.

Couple of thoughts

• Remember you can include cell numbers in a ring groups (multiple)

-If it rings to an extension you can go under settings and set number of rings on primary / secondary route and you can point this to a cell

-@dcitelecom is right. In your situation Follow-Me is your best options and provides the most control

Based on the info check your ring time. I dont think your IVR is “failing” Remember this is in seconds not rings

1 Like