Ringing is "static-y" on incoming calls and dialing on keypad

We are running a Sophos XG Firewall and S705 Phones in this setup. I also have another setup with S705 phones but not XG.

When calling in or dialing on the phone pad itself they are “static-y” when dialing or ringing. This has happened with both of these deployments. I have added an S700 to the mix and its doing it as well. They are all on the latest firmware for the phones.

Once connected the call quality is pretty much just fine. No issues there. These are up-to-date Cloud hosted PBX’s in the CyberLync Datacenter.

Any Ideas?

What is the display timeout set to? I’ve seen this happening only when the phone is “waking up from sleep”

Its even when the phone is awake. Its not just asleep. I know what you mean about that, from what I see that was normal but this is not. As I said its very odd once connected the voice quality is there.

In my experience, with digital phones if you hear ‘static’ it’s coming from the physical connections in the phone, such as the ‘curly cord’ connector to the handset, or the handset to the base. Are the phones analog or digitally connected?

If you suspect it may be the receiver connectors, you can try switching on the speakerphone to bypass those.

Unless you’re doing some audio processing somewhere, the audio should either be there, or not. It would not be modified to be staticy or underwater, unless you were doing some codec manipulation and converting between two codecs (and only then if you don’t have proper modules in place for those codecs).

1 Like

Michael,

I dont mean to be rude by any means, however did you even read my post before posting. lol. It says " S705 Phones (which are Sangoma IP Phones) " and “When calling in or dialing on the phone pad itself they are “static-y” when dialing or ringing” (which means when the phone is ringing or the sound the phone makes when dialing on the dial pad without picking up the handset). This is a very standard setup with no modifications to any base files, using all ring defaults and all codec defaults. There is 5 phones in the one deployment and 20 phones in the other. They are ALL doing it.

Otherwise I agree, its normally a cable issue which i have encountered. I know static is from loose audio connections. :slight_smile: However this is why i put “Static-y” in quotes because its hard to describe it.

Like if you go into the menu and select different ring tones they sound correct. However when the phone is ACTUALLY ringing its all cut in and out kinda like its a loose connection. They all do it, its very odd. And its not just this deployment its another one with a totally different environment. However I can say this, they all came from the same batch.

I would contact support, I assume there’s some background applications that were sleeping.

Hi Jessy:

There is a ticket now on what I would call cosmetic audio issues with ring tones and DTMF tones. It should be resolved in a firmware update in the near term.

2 Likes

YES! That is exactly what it is. the DTMF tones and ring tones. :smiley: So i am not crazy!!! Thank you so much Lorne appreciate it.

I will let my clients know.

1 Like

Hi @jessy5765 :

Phone Firmware .54 was released the other day, and should address the issues you’ve noted in this thread. Give it a try when it’s convenient.

@lgaetz i keep getting file not found for all the posted firmware files in the wiki. Can you please look into that.

Known issue. The firmware is available from within Endpoint Manager, Firmware Management.

I recently purchased a PBXact system and have run into this exact issue… thought I was losing my mind at first, then searched for network issues, then found this thread.

When I go into Endpoint Manager->Firmware Management, version 1.50 is the latest version listed as being available. I was able to download the firmware file you liked @Igaetz, but don’t see anywhere to submit it as a new firmware. Already updated the system, but that had no effect.

Can anyone help me figure out how to either add the firmware to the system or get it to show up in the list??? I really don’t want to deploy brand new phones with an aesthetic flaw like this… would NOT make a good impression on management!

That’s the firmware bundle version.

That’s in bundle 1.49

You need to drag that bundle into a firmware slot.
Says pretty clear in the Wiki Sangoma Documentation

Thanks @PitzKey

Out of curiosity, what’s the point of having a firmware bundle number different than the revision of the firmware it contains??? I saw the 1.49, 1.50, etc and immediately assumed this was the firmware revision available. After dragging 1.49 to one of the banks, I saw that under that bank, 1.54 is shown as the firmware version for all phone models. I know it doesn’t take much to confuse me, but that’s downright confusing…

Thank you again for clarifying things for me. :slight_smile:

A bundle contains firmware versions for all phones from that brand, and obviously it’s impossible to keep all models on the same version… that’s why, they bundle the latest releases together and have bundle versions.

See this example:

1 Like

Because a bundle can have different versions for different models such as the expansion module or the newer phones use a different firmware then.older phones and dect phones are different then desk phones for versions.

Got it - thanks guys. Phones have been updated & no longer exhibit this problem. :smiley:

I’d like to make a suggestion for a very simple change in order to avoid confusion of this sort in the future. A simple change in the wording of the GUI would suffice. Instead of ‘Available Firmwares’, use the term ‘Firmware Bundle Version’. Or instead of just having the bundle version listed as a number, prepend the word ‘Bundle’ before the revision number.

Submit a feature request (through the Support tab IIRC) and see what happens. Most of us here are just users like you, so getting it into the developer’s hands is what’s going to make it happen.

1 Like

That’s a good idea. Submit a feature request to issues.freepbx.org.

Also the wiki documentation shows that when you drag over a bundle it shows all the versions in a bundle. Not sure if you had read the documentation but reviewing the post here seems you were even confused how to drag over a version to a slot which the documentation all covers.

@tonyclewis Feature request submitted. :slight_smile:

I’ve watched all of the PBXact training videos and so saw Chris demo the firmware management section, and I’ve read so much about the phone system & phones that I have a headache. Plus, the GUI is simple enough that I’d be able to figure out that you have to put the firmware you want in an appropriate bank regardless… you guys made it so easy that pretty much anyone could do it. :smiley:

FYI - My confusion stemmed from the fact that the header identifies them as ‘Available Firmwares’ rather than packages/bundles and the versions of these bundles are so close to that of the actual firmware. Because of this, the above message in this thread saying that version 54 was needed to fix this problem, that version 50 was the latest shown as being available, and I’m new to using PBXact & still in the initial setup process of the system, I assumed that there was something wrong with the system or I needed to do something in order to get it to update the list of available firmware so I could use 54. Before it was revealed to me that the items listed under ‘Available Firmware’ weren’t the actual firmware versions available, I naturally did not try to update the firmware to version 50 since the phones shipped with 52 and it’d be a step back. Because of this, I never saw the firmware bundle explode out into different firmware versions for multiple different devices.