Ring groups: Start ringing a station that was previously busy after they hang up?

Yesterday evening, we rolled out a brand new 50+ station FreePBX system with Grandstream GXP2135’s after several months of planning and testing. Very happy with this! It blows our old Vertical MBX IP box out of the water.

But apparently, one thing I neglected to test was if stations in a ring group will start ringing after they hang up from a call they were already on when the new ring group call was first initiated. It doesn’t. Is there any way to make this happen?

Our ring group rings for 45 seconds, then goes to an IVR that allows the caller to leave a voicemail to a group box if they’d rather have us call them back. If they don’t, then it throws the caller back into the ring group again, and then of course the previously busy station will start to ring, but that can be a long wait sometimes.

It’s not really a show-stopper, but it is annoying when call volume is high.

Using a queue instead of a ring group would let you specify if agents are re-tried, which I think will re-check agent status and any newly-available agents would get a ring.

That’s good to know, thanks! In the early stages of setting this system up, we looked into queues vs ring groups. There was something that stopped us from going with queues, but I can’t remember what it was now. I should look into it again.

I should have probably waited to post this though, because I just realized that if I tell it to not skip busy agents in the ring group, it should attempt to ring their second line (call waiting) and then if they hang up the first call they should be able to just pick up the new call right away. I’m going to see how that works out.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.