Ring Groups and Queues will not take alpha extension

I have extensions that are alpha, such as JimJones or JohnSmith. When I create a ring group and try to add the extension to the extension list, it will accept it into the box (I’m using the quick pick), but when I save, it removes the extension from the box. I need this for Inbound calls. Under Inbound Routes I can set the destination to a single extension and it works fine. I need to have a specific group of extensions ring (one at a time) when a specific call comes in. I should be able to have all Alpha extensions, correct? Just to note. I imported the users using Bulk Extensions. The issue is the same using queues.

Thanks for any help on this.

Are you running FreePBX distro? what version? I tried to enter a alpha extension number and the GUI does no allow it?

Are you running FreePBX distro? what version? I tried to enter a alpha extension number and the GUI does no allow it?

Interesting. I cannot enter an alpha extension either. I’m running version 11.5.1. Like I said, I loaded these up using Bulk Extension. Apparently it doesn’t care. I have alpha extensions loaded, and I can register, make and receive calls. So my question then is, are alpha extensions illegal? I would really like to have alpha extensions.

I think he said he was using bulk import.
I really don’t think ANY telephone system has ever been designed ti use alpha characters as a telephone or extension number.

In the good old days you could dial INF for information, coincidentally that is also GOD, so they had to stop using letters because St. Peter got peed off.

We run an outbound call center. Everything is outbound except for anyone calling back in using the outbound CID. Those inbound calls I want to route using ring groups. So extensions will never get called directly. I can always use numbers. But this should work. Like I said. I can register and make calls, and receive them using inbound queues with a destination of an extension (here it takes it just fine). Seems that FreePBX should open up the system to accept alpha extensions all the way, not half way.