retrieve_conf failed

My freepbx interface is acting up. I am sure I did something to cause it, but I have no idea what.

I am running an install of FreePBX Distro.

FreePBX 2.10
CentOS 6.2
Asterisk 1.8

Noe I get:
retrieve_conf failed, config not applied
Reload failed because retrieve_conf encountered an error: 1

When I try to run /var/lib/asterisk/bin/retreve_conf from the command line as root I get
[FATAL] Unable to connect to Asterisk Manager from /var/lib/asterisk/bin/retreve_conf, aborting.

It worked fine, and I have no idea what I did to cause this.

Help would be much appreciated!


My phones are working fine, by the way. I just cant access the fpbx interface

You need to make sure that you have an Asterisk manager account that matches the FreePBX settings.

I have verified that the username/pw all match in the fpbx gui advanced settings (asterisk manager), /etc/amportal.conf, /etc/asterisk/manager.conf, and /etc/asterisk/extensions_additional.conf. I have restarted asterisk with service asterisk restart as well as amportal stop / amportal start.

Is there anything else I should look at?


I recently got this error when I tried to uninstall a couple of modules (park pro and page pro), so what I had to do is reinstall them and then just disabled them instead and mine went back to normal. Not sure if this will help your situation though.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I havent uninstalled anything. I backed up the database a few weeks ago, but that is the most out of the ordinary thing I have done.

I created a brand new asterisk server from FreePBX-4.211.64-4-x86_64-Full-1370294264.iso a couple days ago. Yesterday I manually comfigured all of my settings, and when I came in this morning I am getting the same thing.

When I try to load the web page, it takes forever to load, and the Web Server and Asterisk indicators are red and say Error.

The only thing I did to the system besides just generally load my settings manually was:

to change to Asterisk 11 with asterisk-version-switch
install dhcpd
intall vsftpd for provisioning server
put a bunch of iptables block rules for internations ip addresses

I have not changed any files manually.

[[email protected] bin]# ls -l retrieve_conf
-rwxrwxr-- 1 asterisk asterisk 35829 Jul 5 14:15 retrieve_conf

[[email protected] bin]# cat /etc/passwd|grep asterisk

[[email protected] bin]# cat /etc/selinux/config|grep SELINUX

SELINUX= can take one of these three values:


SELINUXTYPE= type of policy in use. Possible values are:


Thanks for any help!

[[email protected] bin]# tail /var/log/asterisk/freepbx.log
[2013-Jul-06 15:41:40] [CRITICAL] (admin/bootstrap.php:135) - Connection attmempt to AMI failed
[2013-Jul-06 15:42:40] [CRITICAL] (admin/bootstrap.php:135) - Connection attmempt to AMI failed
[2013-Jul-06 15:43:40] [CRITICAL] (admin/bootstrap.php:135) - Connection attmempt to AMI failed
[2013-Jul-06 15:44:40] [CRITICAL] (admin/bootstrap.php:135) - Connection attmempt to AMI failed
[2013-Jul-06 15:45:40] [CRITICAL] (admin/bootstrap.php:135) - Connection attmempt to AMI failed
[2013-Jul-06 15:46:01] [CRITICAL] (admin/bootstrap.php:135) - Connection attmempt to AMI failed
[2013-Jul-06 15:46:01] [CRITICAL] (admin/bootstrap.php:135) - Connection attmempt to AMI failed
[2013-Jul-06 15:46:41] [CRITICAL] (admin/bootstrap.php:135) - Connection attmempt to AMI failed
[2013-Jul-06 15:47:41] [CRITICAL] (admin/bootstrap.php:135) - Connection attmempt to AMI failed
[2013-Jul-06 15:48:41] [CRITICAL] (admin/bootstrap.php:135) - Connection attmempt to AMI failed

After reading this post, one of the final things I did yesterday was update my modules, and FPBX was udpated to 2.11. Could this be causing a conflict? Is there a way to downgrade to 2.10 to test this?


You cant downgrade. You need to make sure your manager.conf password and username matches what you set in freepbx!

In the interest of not leaving this post unresolved, after endless reading, tinkering, and hair-pulling-out, I found what the problem was…

I have some iptables rules to block international traffic and a few others that permenantly block several addresses that fail2ban has blocked in the past. One of those rules was causing problems. I am not sure which one - I will dig a little deeper later into that - but when I stopped the iptables service, everything started working again.

More info for those working through this problem as I have this morning.
from shell try simply:
telnet localhost 5038
mine failed to connect whereas you should see an Asterisk Call Manager prompt.
netstat -l
shows the listening ports and indeed it was listening on that port.
I examined the iptables rules using webmin -> linux firewall and discovered that there was no rule on my system to allow connections from localhost. So I added an allow rule for and restarted iptables All working again. Hopefully these basic networking checks can help.