Restricting who can initiate a page

Asterisk: 1.8.15.0
FreePBX: 2.10.1.15

We are running this in a school and the students have apparently figured out the paging codes. We have the Paging Pro module on the system as well. I am looking for a way to restrict what extension can or cannot dial the page numbers. I have thought about extension routing but these are internal calls. I have tried blacklisting and that doesn’t seem to do the trick.

I am pretty sure class of service is what you want. That said it won’t work in 2.10 you would have to come to a more recent version of FreePBX

Hi,

I suggest to allow the paging codes by CLI. Let us say that your paging code is *80 and your extension is 222. Let us assume that your extensions are 3XX. You can write a custom dial plan like this:

[from-internal-custom]
exten => _*80X./_3XX,1,Hangup

Put this context in the extensions_custom.conf file and then type in the Linux console asterisk -rx'dialplan reload'

Thank you,

Daniel Friedman
Trixton LTD.

Daniel

He is talking about paging not intercom. The Class of Service module will do what you need.

Hi Tony,

I agree that he can use the COS module, but he is searching for a simpler solution. For me, Intercom and Paging in an IP environment are the same because it does the same eventually. There are engineers who like to separate the intercom from the paging because this is how it was handled in the analog/digital pbx’s.

If he already has a code for his paging group, he can customize my dial plan to suit his needs.

Thank you,

Daniel Friedman
Trixton LTD.