Restrict Simulateous calls

Hi im fairly new to freepbx.
Ive made a lot of mistakes and have learned from them - leaving me with a working pbx - thats the good news.

Please forgive my lack of correct terminology.

What I am trying to achieve without success is:

I have 10 Cisco 7960g IP phones.

I have setup multiple lines - which i have ensured are present on all phones.

I want it so that IF Line 1 is occupied on phone 1 THEN phones 2-10 will not allow the line to be used on the phone.

There is an option in the Extensions module called “Outbound Concurrency Limit” and this “Technically” half works. It doesnt restrict the line but will play and error message saying the line is in use.

But this is not what I need. If a line is occupied is should NOT be available to the other phones.

Can any help please - Im not sure what to do next.

Thanks

Hi

What do you mean by a line? Normally in trunks, you can restrict there. And set in your outbound route for those extensions to use this trunk only. Others may have another outbound route to another trunk (although physically same connection) but without restriction.

You can’t assign and extension to more than one peer.

Sounds like you are trying to create a key system.

I am currently in an office that uses an ISDN system. There are 4 lines. They can only use lines that are not being used by another agent.

I want to be able to do the same sort of thing with freepbx and my cisco 7960 phones.

The 7960 gives 6 lines that you can program. You select a line then dial as normal.
I want it so if one person is on Line 1 - then another agent MAY NOT use that line and the phone ITSELF wont allow you get dial tone if it is unavailable.

IS this possible??

Thanks in advance.

Not possible, each peer has to have it’s own extension.

If you want to break away from the FreePBX GUI take a look at the Asterisk SLA documentation. You can create shared DAHDI channels.

Does it matter which line it is?? You say shouldn’t be allowed…
In a normal PBX, you select the line by dialling out… why do you want users to control “which” line they take? (like you have a call on line 3??) now you can say you have a call parked on 72…

Its all about the client - not about the most correct setup.
Client wants what they want. If possible.

Then the client should have been sold a key system or a Cisco CME that supports this feature. Who dropped the ball and did not verify the user requirements against the Asterisk/FreePBX feature set?

Sometimes it’s best to show that what you are installing is different, and different for a reason. If you try to spend too much time trying to make asterisk work like an old keyswitch system you will end up losing money, and losing out with your clients because you will end up chasing your tail actually causing more headaches for yourself trying to bend the system.
A better approach would be to explain the differences in the system, and how the differences can be an advantage to them, allowing them to evolve their workflows into the newer different technology.